460 Ford Forum banner

Kaase-9 Boss mustang started today, 4/11/08, with pix, #5

148K views 395 replies 107 participants last post by  PoweredByFord 
#1 ·
Today we took the project Mustang apart. It was nice to be working on a new car, with no dirt or road stuff on it. It was really not a bad car to work on. My longtime friend Carl Baker was visiting from Ohio, and he started taking parts off before lunch. By 5 we had the engine out, which wasn't bad for us considering we knew nothing about new street cars.
Tomorrow we are going to install a dummy block and heads, with the trans and bellbousing. Motor mounts are an unknown at this point.
I have 7 pictures to post, but they will be one at a time. I have better luck this way. .... Kaase

See less See more
#30 ·
Jon love the look of the dual quad intake on there. :D Looks like you have lots of room in there.

Jon have Lem measure a stock Mustang for you to get an idea as to where everything sits stock.

#31 ·
#34 ·
The tunnel in a fox car is off center, so the motor will set closer to the passenger side. It helps with the clearance of the steering shaft. Not sure about the 05 & newer. I have a set of 460 mounts into a fox, I will donate to the cause if your interested? It may give you a closer idea on engine mounts.

#39 ·
#41 ·
Jon, where are the mounts on the K member in relationship to the bolt hole bosses on the block (fwd & aft)? In one photo it looks like they are close to the same center-line. A little creative fabrication and you could make something that kind of mimics the ears on the mod motor block. I'll see if I can come up with a sketch to show you what I'm talking about.

#43 ·
I think these are the same mounts that Tom posted but that link is broken. The adpater plate bolts to the block, then mount bolts to adapter. This give you 2 bolts to the outside. This is what carl is refering to. They are standad on late 460 trucks. Mounts are available off the shelf from any parts store. The adpater is strictly a Ford item.

One thing the L&L and Performance Unlimted mounts have no safety strap inside of them, if they fail. The Ford mount has an interlocking strap should the rubber fail. I have split L&L and performance unlimited mounts.

#45 ·
Mounts

My old West Coast cobra uses a Lincoln passenger car mount from the 70's that I thru-bolted. They adapt to perches that are welded to the frame with a single cross-bolt. Seems to me a mount like that on the block with a custom perch wouldn't be too bad. I used two 3/8" fasteners to make the mount more or less solid in tension, but still retain the compression dampening ability. I've been happy with the result...no funny thunking or tapping and the engine doesn't move around much.

I dragged out the original mounts and took pics...

Somewhere, I have the information about where I got the new (identical, just new) mounts I used in my build. I remember it was a common aftermarket supplier (dorn?) and a 4-digit part number. I found the mounts by thumbing through a picture book that a local supplier had and found a match visually. They work great for me, and I like the simple cross-bolt installation for R&R purposes. I'm able to move the engine forward and use a temporary pin to hold it in that temporary location when the transmission needs service. Helpful.

If you need me to dig through my file cabinet, I'm sure I can find the information.

And the perch I fab'd in my frame looks like this...

Doesn't get much simpler. If that's where you want to go with it, I'll help with more info.

#47 ·
Tremec T56 six speed. I'm guessing it's "viper spec" which has the larger input shaft (and probably other stuff, but it's stronger than the GM T56). Maybe David was asking for more specific info, like how it's been modified if it has been. I dunno on that.

#48 ·
Yeah...

With that shifter setup I almost didn't recognize it. I wonder if they're going to keep the reverse lockout solenoid thing. I didn't. It wouldn't fit in the tunnel without a carve job, and I didn't feel like I needed it at the time. So far I've been right. So far.

I'd like to know if it's a stocker, GM or Viper, and if it has any mods other than the shifter. There are very exotic guts for that case available, at very exotic prices as well. Mine is a $500 donor part from a viper owner that thought he had a bad transmission when it was actually a bad pilot bearing. I've done nothing to it...it's stock.

Byron

#50 ·
The trans is from D&D in Michigan. Viper input and I don't know what else. I didn't know what the lock out on the shifter area was.
I sure wish someone made motor mount adaptors for a 460 into a 2005-2008 Mustang. It's a lot tougher than you would think. It's at least 8" from the block bolt bosses to the mount area on the K-member, almost straight sideways. .... Kaase

#51 ·
Lockout...

EEK, something tells me an 8" stick connected to a motor mount isn't going to hold a Kaase engine. :) That'll be a project. Baby motor/mid plate on urethane pucks?

Before I discovered the lockout solenoid wouldn't fit, I intended to connect it to my brake light circuit. Step on brake pedal before putting it in reverse. Marginally weird, yes, but simple.

I kept the plunger, added a spring, and made a cap the fit into the recess. I now have a plunger that "resists" reverse, but doesn't prevent it. That works too. If you're speed shifting 5th gear, I think you kinda deserve to hit reverse anyway. :) That's my take.

Oh and if you need a custom clutch setup that will hold 1000+hp (single disk, stock like manners), let me know. I have a clutch guy; superior friction, here in San Jose. He's developed a package that works extremely well. We used the same setup on the yellow viper that was on the cover of Viper magazine some oh...10 years ago. Apex Venom 750. And, I've seen it hold 1200hp with my own eyes in a Viper...with magazine guys driving the car (to death). That's what's in my car and the pedal effort is softer than a stock fox body. The disk is kevlar/kevlar. On one side is a thin ring of material and on the other side there are weird shaped pucks. He could tell you why it works, I really have no idea but I love mine.

Let me know if you want an introduction. I'm sure D&D has great solutions as well...they're on top of things.

And lastly, when looking at your pictures I couldn't help but think to myself "Wow, that thing has enough room for my blower brackets and a big procharger!" Are you going to put full accessories on her, including all the hydraboost, AC, and all that...or is this a race car deal?

Byron

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.