460 Ford Forum banner

Kaase-9 Boss mustang started today, 4/11/08, with pix, #5

148K views 395 replies 107 participants last post by  PoweredByFord 
#1 ·
Today we took the project Mustang apart. It was nice to be working on a new car, with no dirt or road stuff on it. It was really not a bad car to work on. My longtime friend Carl Baker was visiting from Ohio, and he started taking parts off before lunch. By 5 we had the engine out, which wasn't bad for us considering we knew nothing about new street cars.
Tomorrow we are going to install a dummy block and heads, with the trans and bellbousing. Motor mounts are an unknown at this point.
I have 7 pictures to post, but they will be one at a time. I have better luck this way. .... Kaase

See less See more
#54 ·
BigBlockRanger said:
It's cool to see you working on it! Sometimes us regular guys get the feeling the big names in motorsports don't really get their hands dirty.

Big ole thumbs up!
Whoa now! Did you see that car? Nobody got their hands dirty!
It is great to watch this project as it happens, much better than seeing it in a magazine next year - and we will I would think...

#56 ·
Phantasea466 said:
Jon,

Be sure and let me know when it's finished so I can stop by and pick it up 8) .
I'll arm wrestle ya for it Damon. :lol:

#58 ·
schmitty said:
Phantasea466 said:
Jon,

I'll have to use 2 arms to your 1 :lol:

#59 ·
36 truck said:
Jon this one is used on 86/97 F250s with a spacer plate to bolt to the engine as the motor mount only has 2 holes.

[/quote
I have these mounts on my truck, as they "are" a truck mount... But I baked them until all the rubber was gone and made them solid... I think they'd work good for your app. as they're pretty low profile, and the double studs would make a better/stronger mount JMHO...

Doug... 8)

#60 ·
Jon
That mount looks a lot like a universal mount I bought for my 460 F-100 swap. I purchased them from Sacramento Vintage Ford. Iv seen them in mags from other company's as well..

Hope this helps
Charlie
MidnightAngelRacing.com

#61 ·
Phantasea466 said:
schmitty said:
Phantasea466 said:
Jon,

I'll have to use 2 arms to your 1 :lol:
:lol: :lol: I will promise to use my bad arm. :lol:

#62 ·
maybe..

Maybe you could try something like this available at www.tdperformance.com .

I modified this one to fit between my frame rails by cutting a few inches off of each end. It also comes with tube caps with 4 bolt flanges on them.

You can get a better picture at their website. Hope this helps.

Edit: On their site, look under "motor mounts", and them "universal crossmembers".

#63 ·
This mount is a 390/428 mount with one added hole drilled to bolt directly to the 460. The rubber has been removed and steel added in it's place. The edges of the steel were chamfered and then the top and bottom plate were tig welded to it. Very strong in my opinion. The rubber ripped in half the first day out. Just an idea.

Daryl

#64 ·
JonKaase said:
The trans is from D&D in Michigan. Viper input and I don't know what else. I didn't know what the lock out on the shifter area was.
I sure wish someone made motor mount adaptors for a 460 into a 2005-2008 Mustang. It's a lot tougher than you would think. It's at least 8" from the block bolt bosses to the mount area on the K-member, almost straight sideways. .... Kaase
Since it's that far to the block bolt losses, could a vertical or almost vertical stanchion run down to the lower part of the K member?

#65 ·
I'd use the stock perches. My '95 BMW is the same way. I've been plotting and scheming a Ford V8 swap for that car too, and this project is giving me the itch even more. As it stands, money is still very tight so I'm not gonna fall into it being a trap of only being half finished when the money runs out. Anyways, I'd use a heavy flat plate with a hole drilled in one end to bolt onto the stud sticking up from the stock mustang crossmember mount. It'd probably be in the area of 3.5"x6" and 3/8 to 7/16" thick. Then make a rectangular plate to bolt directly to the block. Then use a piece of square tube stock to connect the two together. It'd be like a heavier duty steel version of the factory 4.6L aluminum mount that comes off the block.

Here's my awesom Foose quality rendition of what I'm (and what Willis is also) talkin' 'bout... the mount is in green. It looks like I've got the angle quite a bit off too. The bar with cross hatch green stripes would be much more horizontal. As such, I rectum that piece should be as tall (up and down thickness) as possible to best distribute the load and minimize tension/compression along the beam.

#69 ·
I don't know if it was mentioned (I didn't have time to read all the posts), but the motor mounts are in a different location in 05+ vs. 04 and older (Fox based). So, 460 mounts for a Fox may not fit well on a 05+. A little late I know...

#73 ·
I hope he gets this thing done soon so he can start marketing the mounts for us to.. I am going to start looking for a light crashed 6 cyl!

#76 ·

This is us taking the project Mustang over to Chuck Lawrence's to have headers built. Also he is going to figure out a real gas pedal. The fuel system is a mystery at this point, we have to make it work with a carb, with at least 500 lbs/hr. I'll visit a few times and take pictures. At least it's moving forward. ....Kaase

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.