460 Ford Forum banner

Boss 9 project update

11K views 26 replies 13 participants last post by  res0rli9 
#1 ·
Hood is on. We had to increase the height of the scoop by 1 inch to clear the Kaase intake. The shop hand fabricated the scoop to make it taller but keep the same basic design. Everything should be finished in the next two weeks.

I am planning on taking to Joliet for the Good Guys Show September 18-20. Look me up if you're there.

See less See more
#4 ·
Radiator Hoses

The hard line is connected with hoses on both ends allowing flex. Also the motor mounts are the bushing type which allows less movement. This design has been used in other cars with no issues.

I like the look compared to the ribbed metal hoses or just black hose.

#6 ·
Parking at Walmart

There is a lot of truth in that.

We kind of got carried away and the shop :
http://www.metalcraftersonline.com/
wanted to do some extra to show what they can do.

The problem is it is going to drive me nuts leaving it alone at a show or cruise night. The work they have done is beyond exceptional but like you said you wouldn't want to leave it in the Walmart parking lot for too long.

I'll still drive it a lot on nice days and I guarantee the front tires will wear better than the rears.

#10 ·
Dyno numbers

We could not initially dyno as the headers we made would not work on the dyno. They tucked in too close. After installing the engine we decided to make a change or two so we pulled it out again.

Just so happens Kaase had a set of headers that will work so we are using them this weekend or first of next week to dyno and then re-install. I'll post numbers as soon as we are done but Jon says the tubes on these headers are a bit smaller than our headers so we'll be down about 50 horse. Should give us an idea of power though. We may also chassis dyno at some point.

Everything else is ready to go including electrical and all body work as well as interior.

#12 ·
We could not initially dyno as the headers we made would not work on the dyno. They tucked in too close. After installing the engine we decided to make a change or two so we pulled it out again.

Just so happens Kaase had a set of headers that will work so we are using them this weekend or first of next week to dyno and then re-install. I'll post numbers as soon as we are done but Jon says the tubes on these headers are a bit smaller than our headers so we'll be down about 50 horse. Should give us an idea of power though. We may also chassis dyno at some point.

Everything else is ready to go including electrical and all body work as well as interior.
I had that same problem with headers on the dyno on my original Boss 429 engine.Solved it by swapping them to opposite sides upside down.
As far as car shows and cruise nights,you just have to have drool rags handy and be prepared to answer tons of questions.

Attachments

#11 ·
Very nice and impressive Boss car you've got going there!!!

Tell me more about it please.Horsepower and torque expectation,trans,rear end,gear ratio.Are you concerned about twisting and flexing of body panels? Did you tie in the frame with a cage and if so,how many point cage?

The reason I ask I'm having the same car built but mine will be pro streeted.Kaase is building me a 598ci with a 1000hp and 850lbs of torque and I'm really concerned about twisting the body.

#13 ·
Expectations and build

The engine is a 557 with about 10.4:1 compression and solid roller cam, Kaase heads and intake, 1050 holley carb. We made the headers with 2 1/4 inch into 3 1/2 collectors. This is run into a 3 inch exhaust with exhaust cut outs. After the mufflers the exhaust goes to 2 1/2. Expected output is hopefully 800 plus range.

The suspension is a Heidts mustang II type up front with a Heidts 4 link in back. The frame was connected and welded to body. It has a roll cage that attaches from the trunk up through the front fenders. The roll bar is about in the Shelby area but no full cage to windshield.

The transmission is a TKO 600 (hydraulic clutch) with a chrome moly drive shaft into a detroit locker rear end with 35 spline axles in a Fab 9 rear end.

The car has willwood 4 wheel disc brakes with an electric booster.

Frame rails:

#18 ·
The engine is a 557 with about 10.4:1 compression and solid roller cam, Kaase heads and intake, 1050 holley carb. We made the headers with 2 1/4 inch into 3 1/2 collectors. This is run into a 3 inch exhaust with exhaust cut outs. After the mufflers the exhaust goes to 2 1/2. Expected output is hopefully 800 plus range.

The suspension is a Heidts mustang II type up front with a Heidts 4 link in back. The frame was connected and welded to body. It has a roll cage that attaches from the trunk up through the front fenders. The roll bar is about in the Shelby area but no full cage to windshield.

The transmission is a TKO 600 (hydraulic clutch) with a chrome moly drive shaft into a detroit locker rear end with 35 spline axles in a Fab 9 rear end.

The car has willwood 4 wheel disc brakes with an electric booster.

Frame rails:

So did you go with a 10 point cage? I really like how you laid out and designed this build and I would really be interested in seeing pix of your cage if you don't mind.

What we are going to do on my car is to put and "X" bracing between the frame rails for strenght.We did that on my 67 Eleanor with a Robert Pond built 496 side oiler with over 700hp and it worked very well.

Will that Tremec handel the HP and torque? I suppose it will or you wouldn't be doing it.

Anyway,very nice build you got going and I'm sure it will be an asphalt burner.

#16 ·
Steve I've been following your new build and it is looking great. Your old car was pretty good too. A question if you don't mind. Is the cam a Jon Kaase spec grind and would you be willing to post the specs? I'm in the process of building a similar car and engine combo. Will be going with a Kaase grind just trying to nail down a Dynamic compression number.

Thanks

#17 ·
Hi Randy,

How do we know each other and how are you aware of my old car?

Yes the cam will be a Kaase spec cam.I really don't know what the specs will be at this time.I have spoke with Jon a couple times and he's still working out the cam details to get me the 1000hp he promises.The engine won't be built/dyno'd until December then shipped to the car builder.

Once I have the cam specs I could let you know then.

#20 ·
Cam etc.

The cam is a comp cams grind solid roller. It's not as wild as the cam Kaase got over 970 horse with as he said that was too rough for the street. I don't have the specs right now but will get them for you. If you can wait a week or so I should have dyno numbers for you also.

The cage was not meant to be NHRA legal just strong enough to stiffen the chassis. The TKO transmission is suppose to handle 800 ft lbs of torque...we'll see.

#22 ·
Hey the car looks great.i have wanted to put a boss in mine for years but the cost was way out of my range. now that kaase has repoed the heads it might be affordable now. ha i can't wait to see the car at goodguys. i'll be there with mine. the yellow and black boss 302 look a like with a 429cj in it. good luck getting it done. i'll stop by to check it out. Lou

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.