460 Ford Forum banner

We have P-38 SBF heads in stock

34K views 26 replies 17 participants last post by  ERStettin 
#1 ·
We have a few sets of the first run of P-38 small block Ford heads in stock. You may remember that we sold a similar head through Jegs a few years ago. It's a Windsor package with better porting and canted valves. Here’s some info on them:

http://www.mooregoodink.com/news/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/jkp38cylheads.pdf

We have a few sets of cast valve covers here, and Moroso makes a real nice billet rail fabricated valve cover.

Please tell us if you’re calling as a result of this forum! … Jon Kaase 770-307-0241

#5 ·
I'm having a hard time believing the HP claim. Most H/C/I 302 make in the 380-410hp range@ 6500ish rpm. I could see another 25-30hp spinning the motor to 7500 but with a "modest" cam and 9:1 comp I cant see 500bhp, maybe 420-430hp being more accurate, I would love to see a dyno chart. I know most 347 stroker combos have a really hard time hitting 500bph with a good amount more compression. I have been looking forward to these heads for a while. If there anything like the other Kaase products I'm sure they perform close to the advertised #'s but 500hp out of a NA bolt on 302 is a BIG claim. Cant wait to see some dyno vids and comparisons.

#11 ·
HP

Come on guys, John has shown time and time again his stuff is what he says it will do. Look at his scj heads and when he came out with his p51 heads they did what he said they would. I can't wait to get a set and have no doubt of his products. John puts a ton of RD into his products and does not release them untill there right. Joe

#14 · (Edited)
60cc chambers and you need a custom piston for them for big lift cams but they do work with stock pistons with a decent size cam,i have them on a 86 5.0 from a lincoln LSC it has flat tops with no valve reliefs and im running a comp 292 cam 244 dur @ .050 and 534 lift and had room for more cam, (how much more i don't know) but the valves never even touched the clay on this cam.

#15 ·
Ok, thanks.
I figured that you could probably get away with stock type valve reliefs with a small cam. Thanks for confirming.
The project I'm currently spec'ing for though is a flat top stroker 408 Windsor.
The cam is 270-278 @050. and I think the lift was .672. I haven't figured the compression ratio with these heads 60cc chambers yet but I would guess that would put it around 11.8 to 12 to1 range with the P38's. I think I figured the compression ration to be a little over 12.5 to 1 with a 58cc chamber.
I bet the P38's would have been perfect for this project.

#16 ·
my stroker windsor motor made 688 on the dyno with a 950 QFT carb on a stoch filled block. Ran it for 3 years.

#19 ·
Dang, that's good. Tell me more.
The cam specs that I have for the motor I'm building now are .672 lift intake/ exhaust and 270/278 @.050 on the duration with a 108 degree Lobe Separation.
The compression is a little lower than I wanted at 12.5 to 1 but I think the tighter LSA will help that. This motor will be run with a Glide and 5200 PTC Converter and shifted (I'm guessing)about 7500 RPM all N/A.

#17 ·
Jon had a set at the tech seminar and at a first glance they don't look much different then any other sbf head but when Jon was showing the difference between heads in his slide show the intake valve is moved way over from the cyl wall. This is where all the power comes from. He also mentioned that on a large bore sbf (0.125+) you would not see those kind of gains becayse the valve is already unshrouded.

The heads are complete and cost the same as the P51's but include the special valve covers (approx $2500). The rockers will not clear a regular valve cover,

#18 ·
I know Jon is proud of the P38 heads. I wish I could have used a set for this build. My son wanted them bad but I just don't see it happening on this build. I will try and plan around them on the next one. I've got a bud with a old (set up for drag racing) 65 Comet that hasn't been on the track for years that I'm trying to talk into getting back into it. I think a stroker small block and some P38's would be just the thing to move that old car. I have another friend that races with me that has a chassis car 70 Mustang Fastback that I've built motors for that wants a set of the P51's and a stroker motor so I'm sure Jon and I will hook up some day. I love reading all the articles about his projects that I can get my hands on.

#25 · (Edited)
P38 heads

got a set going on a dart block ford 351 that's stroked to 463 cubes and machined by the team kaase folks. will be pump gas and use a tfs box intake. was told that jon kasse himself came up with the custom cam specs. (if true-what an honor) I read about the heads in mm&ff magazine for their 25th anniversity and used on their 88 mustang gt SEMA entry, Project Hypersilver. my 88 gt is looking forward (as am I) to see how this combination works out. thanks mister kaase and team for your contribution!

#26 ·
got a set going on a dart block ford 351 that's stroked to 463 cubes and machined by the team kaase folks. will be pump gas and use a tfs box intake. was told that jon kasse himself came up with the custom cam specs. (if true-what an honor) I read about the heads in mm&ff magazine for their 25th anniversity and used on their 88 mustang gt SEMA entry, Project Hypersilver. my 88 gt is looking forward (as am I) to see how this combination works out. thanks mister kaase and team for your contribution!
How about an update on this motor Please

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.