460 Ford Forum banner

Boss Nine Dimensions

13K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  BOSS 429 
#1 ·
Hey gang

ive shot off an email to the crew at Kaase but understand they are busy so thought i would try here.

just wanted to know the dimensions of a boss nine engine compared to a standard 460... mainly after the width, but any dimentions (possibly with a diagram?) would be great.

my XA Falcon has an engine bay similar to a '70 mustang (maybe torino) i think so if i can get your shock tower width also it would help me compare.

here is a pic i took when doing mock up which shows how much room i have now. If i was to look at a boss nine i would notch the towers and an RRS suspension.

cheers

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
you got an rrs front end bob or something like the McDonald bro front end kit? can you show pics? engineered? if its engineered and rego'd did you have any hassels?

#6 ·
with an rrs suspension front end you can fit a modular motor into our falcons with notched shock towers so would be interesting to hear how much difference between a mod motor to a boss nine size wise

#8 · (Edited)
If it's anything like a mustang II front end and you plan to notch the towers, it will fit!

x2

With a Mustang II-type front suspension, I would presume the towers could be permanently cut out/removed (the entire tower) altogether, freeing up a LOT of room.

Don't know about a Boss 9, specifically, but I believe the original Boss 429s were something to the tune of 29" wide from VC edge to VC edge. I would think a Boss 9 has to be roughly the same.

#9 ·
Google is your friend guys :)

here are some links off the RRS website. For you US blokes, there are suppliers over there now too i believe for RRS gear. RRS is Aussie made too :)

Notched towers:
http://www.rrs-online.com/shocktowerproducts.php

http://www.rrs-online.com/frontcoilovers.php

I also found these pics off Kaase's website, and im not sure what model car it is, but the engine bay is very similar to my XA only LHD. Appears the shock towers have been notched similar to the RRS setup.

hope this helps explain what i was getting at :)

cheers

#10 ·
I was looking at Kaase's web site and noticed the following information at the bottom of the page that talks about their Boss 9 heads. Is that what you were looking for?

"Total width of the Kaase Boss Nine engines on a 10.320 385 series block from valve cover to valve cover is 29 inches."

#11 ·
I am in the middle of putting a Boss 9 in a 66 fairlane with a Mustang II front end Cliff from Jon Kaases shop sent me some cad drawings of the boss nine. The only trouble I am having is getting the engine low enough to keep everything under the hood. Oh well that is what hood scoops are for

Rick

#13 ·
I have a reall MustangII front end and I am using a rear sump pan from Ford Racing. Kaase sent me a blemished head so I could mock up the engine compartment for motor mounts I have put an entire new frame in the car.
Right now it has no firewall, floor boards, engine compartment sides. and I am finding everything is real tight.Have to relocate master cylinder I might try to take some pictures and see if I am smartr enough to post them

Rick

#14 ·
hey mate, it will still be a tight squeeze with the BOSS9s in the XA i know because i'm setting up my XA coupe to fit the boss9's im using another front end design (not RRS), it will completely remove my shock towers all together.
i wouldn't bother with boss9s on a standard block though, i'd just say to use P51s, there's plenty of engines making 800+hp on the street with those heads now, shoot an email off to Kaase about it, and it'll fit in as the car is now i think.

#17 ·
did you get the info you needed?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.