460 Ford Forum banner

Project 12.99 LTD finally...

161K views 372 replies 73 participants last post by  MrScharfenberger 
#1 · (Edited)
Well after selling off 3 engines I have built for this car I am finally going to install a big block in her.

I had a 70K mile unmolested C9 lincoln 460 which was essentially a good runner with no bore wear or inappropriate wear anywhere excepting the timing set which still had the nylon teeth on the cam gear. Decided to build an engine with parts lying around the shop so here is what I have"

Block decked .012" to set pistons .002 out of the bore

Stock C9 pistons with 11 cc dish. Will notch for large valves.

Reringed and a quick hone to freshen the straight cylinder bores.

Polished crank and select fit .001" clevite bearings

Paul Kane modded std volume oil pump.

Voodoo cam 219/227 on a 110 with mid 500" s lift ground with 4 degrees advance. Installed 1 degree advanced to 105 ICL. (Cam and lifter set free courtesy of my cam grinder.)

1.8 ratio comp high teck stainless roller rockers for .560" / .582" final lift

RPM intake gasket matched to felpro std gasket.

Edelbrock large chamber heads fully ported concentrating on good flow under .600" lift, decked .060" and .030" off of the intake side. 10.1 to 1 final C/R with an 8.8 to 1 DCR. (Thank you for the good deal Dave Ohagin) 330/233 cfm @ .600" lift. Squish grooves.

Holley 750 reworked by bobby at competition carbs. choke tower removed, rear metering block added, emulsion circuits reworked, air bleeds set up for this combo, quick change vac sec dashpot cover. Flows 820 cfm with down leg boosters that have been massaged and have a shear ledge.
Summit high volume mechanical fuel pump. Vehicle has 3/8" fuel lines and a 5/16" return

Dual snorkle 5.0 HO aircleaner with K&N filter ducted to cool air on sides of radiator.

Headers TBD either 6126 hookers or FPA headers.

3" X pipe and magnaflows with 2.5" tail pipes

B&M holeshot 2400 stall convertor purchased from a forum member thank you Andy M!!! Killer deal.
3.25 or 3.5 gears with trak loc. Already have 2.75 trak loc 9" now just need to change gears.

With a full iron 400 and a/c she weighed 4320 pounds. Should come in at around 4150 with all a/c removed and the aluminum heads, intake and water pump on the 460.

I am going to conservatively estimate HP at 460 and torque at 510.

I may change the cam to an EX solid flat tappet 230/236 @ .050 .584" / .600" lift ground again on a 110 because of the 1.8 rockers. would be 109 with std rockers.

The idea as the name states is to run 12.99 at about 105+ mph. Traction will be a huge problem I know...

:D

Attachments

See less See more
#37 ·
Rear Sway Bar

Great point! I know of a lot of GM "A" bodys out here that swear by using a rear sway bar on their drag cars. Really seems to help more so on the coil sprung rear cars. I have not seen or heard much about using a sway bar on the rear of a leaf car, although I have seen more than one NHRA Stock eliminator car with a track bar on the rear of a leaf car................

#38 ·
After fighting with my flow bench for several days because of a calibration error that seemed to appear at the higher flow rates I have some revised figures for the SCJ-A castings. Checked some stock doves to verify that the bench is not happy and several out of the box pairs of aluminum heads which were coming up short which is what clued me into the potential issue... any way...

.200" 165 cfm
.300" 260
.400" 320
.500" 360
.570" 376

Pretty typical flow rates for the type of work done. Bowl blend. right side wall opened as well as the bowl itself on the same side. 29 degree back cut .088" wide.

Exhaust numbers remain unchanged. Funny that the error did not affect the exhaust numbers...

Far more flow than the combo needs however this will help the combo hold on after the cam has peaked...

#39 ·
Some additional pics... Getting real close just down to the details...

All of the big stuff is done.

Engine ready excepting final finishing on the heads.

Engine bay ready, power steering pump redone.

Now it is really a matter of getting the final details addressed and installing the engine.

Ordered and have received Summit 2.5" X pipe kit, walker dynomax ultra mufflers and a nice low key tach for the steering wheel.

Also have a set of 3.50 gears, a trak lok etc. now to get the third member done...

Attachments

#40 ·
12s

Scott I think your set up should run some where between mid 11s to low 12s. I have a 71 cobra torino, car weighs 4000lbs, I had a 429 30 over in it, cj heads stock ports solid cam with 280 duration 615 lift, 11.3.1 comp, 2 inch headers into 2 1/2 straight exhaust in to mufflers, stealth intake, 850 double pumper. c6 3000 stahll converter, 411 gears 9 inch traction lock with slapper bars on the leaf springs. I had the front sway bar still attached. The car would run consist 12.9s all day, I feel with some tuning the car would have run 12.5s but a lobed wipped out. With your set up and knowledge you should be in my oppion be at least be in the high 11s. looking foward to see what she runs Joe.

#41 ·
Have you done anything to the transmission? I remember about 20 years ago, a customer at the parts store had a big LTD with a built 460, and he had trouble with the high gear band. There was a transmission shop behind our store, and he welded something to keep it together. Kinda vague, I know, just something from the foggy memories.......:rolleyes:

#42 ·
Intake?

Hey Scott, I was curious on what INT Manifold you are going to use? As you probally know, there is not much in the way of hood clearance on these cars. I have included some eng. pics from our 73.The INT used was RPM Performer with a 1" spacer. The rear of the hood had to be raised to clear the air cleaner. I have quite a lot of extra trim and some other misc peices(some NOS) left over form that car if your interested....Steve

Attachments

#43 ·
Trans is a perf reman with a shift kit for now. I have an E40D with bauman controller in the works. Just have to pick it up...
B&M 2400 holeshot though I feel with the HIGH 10.9 to 1 c/r, vehicle weight and torque the stall will be higher. 3.50 gears with trak loc.

The intake is a performer RPM with the runners raised to cj height and all equalized to flow 320 to 331 per runner. (I will be using a drop base dual snorkel 5.0 HO air cleaner assembly ducted to cold air.) I picked up 25 to 35 cfm per runner flowed on the heads by doing the roof work. Runners are shaped and matched to their respective port.

Carb is a comp carbs reworked 750 flowing 820 cfm.

My dyno sims are calling for 520 to 560 HP. My gut says the 520 is more realistic.

Every intake port has been checked and they are all in the 371 to 379 range at .570 lift.

Heads will be done this weekend. I am mired in the details right now. Removing the power brake booster for bead blast and repaint, new master cylinder for looks sake, install line lock etc. It never ceases to amaze me how these projects always balloon.

The engine compartment will be the **** if I may say so.

Pics coming soon....

#46 ·
LOL... I am going to keep the original goal of breaking into the 12's which should be no big deal. Where in the 12's is the question. I will need to do some serious research into getting it to the ground. Car weighed 4380 before with a full iron 400 with a/c etc.

I have removed all a/c components and now have aluminum heads, intake and WP so I am hoping for 4200 lbs or less.

Would like to find a company that will build me some 5 on 5 steel wheels with some additional width for my slicks. I am going to box the trailing arms and add the shocks suggested earlier in the thread. I am not going to race this car regularly. I just want to make my goal and tweek the combo for the year at pacific raceways here is seattle. I am using my original cam choice of the 219/227 voodoo with the 1.8 high tek stainless rockers. I want this to be a stealthy driver.

I have utilised every engine masters trick I can think of to make as much power and torque with as mild a combo as I can. Kind of a 2000 to 5500 rpm max average power deal. I dont want this combo to be obnoxious at idle.

Getting close now. Hurst roll control is installed, MSD 6AL-2 installed, stealthy tach installed.
Walker dynomax ultras, 2.5" X pipe, Headers by stan at FPA are all waiting for install. 3.50 gear set trak loc etc all here as well just have to get er done...

Attachments

#47 ·
Scotty remember Popular Hotrodding's project Monte1go they used aftermarket control arms on that car. I believe they were Global West pieces but it's been sooooooooo long since I read that article you may want to take a look at it for some inpsiration.

#49 ·
Yes it is good sir... You helped out a rodder in need and I thank you. Its a bit smaller than the original 6-AL so it fits really nice where it is...

:D :D :D :D :D

#50 ·
Scotty for your wheels try Early wheel company earlywheel.com or Wheel smith at thewheelsmith.com I'm not sure if they will do your wheels but they have regular steel rims that they can make any backspace and width. There is another company in Cali that fdoes wheels but I can't find the name yet...still looking. What a cool project!!

#56 ·
Just about assembled... Engine that is... :)

Funny thing about the SCA-A cylinder heads with large diameter springs and titanium retainers... Stamped steel valve covers WILL NOT fit with out 1"+ spacers. The tall motor sports valve covers I bought new are not going to fit in the engine bay believe it or not. Damned AC evaporator case...

Anyway Stan Johnson from FPA dropped by a pair of beautiful blue thunder cast valve covers. They did not want to fit either. With some massaging of the valve cover casting, turning down the retainer .060" ( it was larger than the 924 comp spring) and enlarging the bolt holes a bit with double gaskets and Viola' they fit...

Waiting for the felpro double laminated vc gaskets with steel spine to come in. With some luck I will be able to get it on the dyno next week...

Attachments

#57 · (Edited)
Well its ready for the dyno...

Here are some more pics of the engine with some detailing.

T-316 S/S acorn cap nut and washers on the valve covers
T-316 pipe plugs in all unused intake manifold vac / water taps.

I went with the Oem spark plug wire seperators. I like the look.

I need to put a cleaning / painting on the 5.0 HO air cleaner assembly. A client told me that the MR. CLEAN magic eraser works quite well on CJ valve covers and I am going to try it on the aircleaner lid as it is aluminum.

Attachments

#58 ·
5.0ho air cleaner assembly? That just seems wrong on multiple levels. Lol

Why not get the 5.0ho fender emblems to match and further throw off any unknowing competition. Lmao:D

#59 ·
Scotty I am kinda partial to the Chrome smoothies on those early style cars and they have them in 5 on 5 from 15x6 all the way up to 15x10 and I believe they are all 4 3/4" backspacing.

And they are dirt cheap to boot!

#64 ·
From whom are they available?

S

#60 · (Edited)
Is that the dual snorkel I sold you in 2007 or so? lol. FWIW I gave up on the aluminum lids years ago. There's a guy on eBay selling generic repop Ford air cleaner lids in chrome for $20.

If you're taking input on wheels, body-color matched widened steelies with what you have now for trim rings and caps gets my vote. (yeah I know, PITA to remove at the track..)

#62 ·
Yes it is and it worked beautifully on the 400 for years and looked cool. I am not big on too much chrome though i will look at the lids. I like the patina of aluminum with a few chrome accents.

I am in agreement on the wheels. Love the low key look. Every time a local tells me "damned that car is cool as hell it sure would look great with some 20" 's" I just want to VOMIT... lol

#65 ·
We will find out on the dyno. If it costs too much HP then I will have to re evaluate the choice. I believe it will cost some HP but the ducting to cool high pressure air may just offset any losses.

#69 ·

Attachments

#70 ·
Ordered an MSD coil friday for the 6AL 2 ignition that will utilise the factory horseshoe coil connector and is black. I can not really see an obnoxious red coil on the front of my engine...

#72 ·
#73 ·
Well it is finally home where it belongs...

Dropped the engine on the mounts yesterday with out a hitch. Well excepting a minor ding on the heater box.

Should be running very soon.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.