460 Ford Forum banner

Jed's 1967 fastback

25K views 116 replies 25 participants last post by  Inbred-jed 
#1 · (Edited)
Actually started this build a year and a half ago and its a few short weeks from completion. I just finally got around to sharing some of the details with you folks. The car is a 1967 fastback mustang that has been in our family 40 years. My father drove the car as a daily driver for several years until attempting to race it in 1979. after a few failed attempts and blown engines the car was parked until 1996. After graduating highschool i began sinking every nickel i had into the car for the next two years. Starting out with cleveland blocks the car ran 11.70's until cracking two blocks and learning a valuable lesson. After sitting out a season in 2000 i brought the car out in 2001 with a 501 edelbrock headed engine putting me into the high 9's and 10.0s in the heat. It was backed by a C6 no transbrake and a makeshift ladderbar suspension (i was poor) I ran the car this way til 2012. The engine lasted 11 years and 3 refreshens and was still running when i sold it. I decided the car was destined for a new beginning..a total tranformation that i could not afford fresh out of highschool. The car had its rust issues as do all sixties mustangs. I had done a lot of patch work and cleverly masked alot of the cars problems with a great running engine and a decent paint job applied by myself. The car needed floors..quarters..cowl..etc etc....but i wanted a race car too. Ive always been in love with the cars at the track that appeared they drove in..full interiors practically...carpet..door panels..but really ran some respectable times. So i decided i didnt want a full tubbed out all aluminum interior stripped down tool for winning races. I wanted a car that still had the essence of the original car but with enough changes to make it a competitive racer. So in Nov 2012 I got started. Here are some pics of the car when i got started.

See less See more
#6 ·
Car at the Chassis builder now...Davis Race Cars out of Madison Ohio top notch work...great shop..You can see the funny car cage installation...subframe connectors..He moved the frame rails in another two inches further after these pics were taken for more clearance to tuck the 29x12's under the car. Everything in the trunk is only a modified exaggeration of the factory specs..the trunk drops offs and pans are still intact only clearanced for room. Decided to go with a strange strut and rack&pinion combo...fabricated 9" comp engineering housing that was fully bracketed for a 4 link...wishbone..coilovers and anti roll bar..all under stock floor :). also you can see the gas tank and fuel pump mounts as well as chite mount.

#7 ·
I decided not to have the car tubbed...been there done that. Besides, I just had the floors replaced why cut them up? and the quarters would need stretched to acommodate giant slicks..So it made more sense to me and followed my guideline that i wanted a car with that still resembled a 67 mustang. So we only rolled the lips on the quarters and only had to notch the floors where needed to clearance for tires and the 4 link.

#11 ·
Sweeter than that is what happened next....I was thinking one day about how much i hate all the chrome trim on the front of these mustangs..I ripped two pairs of pants on the edge of the front hood molding alone...the fasteners never fit right and all the reproduction pieces are lets face it ****. I still wanted an all steel kinda factory looking car so a complete fiberglass front end was out. So thinking about that: get rid of trim, fasteners, maybe bumper and brackets, without a complete fiberglass front? Answer: Shelby :)

#19 ·
Thanks..I'll post more pics of the progress after I get off work later...these cars suck for tires...that tire you see on the driver side is actually too big I was experimenting. It's a 29.5x11.5W hoosier..too tall...with just rolling the lips and keeping the existing opening shape your gonna be hard pressed to get anything larger than a true 30 inches. Which suck cuz I can get a 13.5 inch tire under now but it's a snug 30.2 inches tall...and the next size down is a 29x12 hoosier...at 29.3 inches and a true 12 inches wide. If your not afraid to get a little more creative and don't mind a little butchering you could get a little over 30 I believe but it's the tire expansion you gotta worry about.. I have 29x12 hoosier under the car it looks good tucked you'll see in tonight's pics.

#20 ·
Awesome, I always wondered where you went. I loved the car in blue, now it is really BA.

#23 ·
So while all this fabrication and building is going on im thinking...how can i make this car kick even more ***. I need a good engine...something reliable...a good bracket engine...decently low maintenance. I mean i am practical...i realize that as horsepower increases so does maintenance and reliability can go out the window. So i set a goal...i wanted something in the 800 horsepower range...something that wasnt gonna cost 30 grand to build...something from Kentucky? I heard about these guys and how they could make make BBFs flat out fly. So i got in touch with Lem...told him my goals for the build...and went through every aspect of the build process. I liked his plan very methodical didnt have me spending money on things i didnt need and have me over building for my goals which i appreciated greatly. My part was easy i just kept sending checks lol.... after it was all said and done this is what Lem and Philip Oakley put together for me. A P-51 headed 557ci firebreathing dragon :) I was a little disappointed... i told Lem i needed 800 horsepower for my money...No No...these guys instead have the balls and the odacity to not listen to one word i said and made me 900 horsepower!!!!! :) Cant thank these guys enough....

#24 ·
By this point i got the engine in and just starting some of the fuel system plumbing and trying to workout a radiator and fan combination. Finally ended up going with a 79 mustang aluminum rad and flexalite dual pusher fans...looks fantastic as youll see in later pics.

#25 ·
PM'd you on some engine questions.

Thanks ,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.