460 Ford Forum banner

Building an "off highway" 385 Series Engine

50K views 22 replies 15 participants last post by  supervel45 
#1 ·
I have plenty of this stuff laying around... thought some of you might gain something from having it available.

See less See more
#2 ·

#3 ·
Cale their used to be a whole section of old magazine articals for reference, but it appears to have disapeared, I'm guessing since the sit is commercial and for profit now is probably gone for a reason?

#15 · (Edited)
#4 ·
Wouldn't know why.... Where was it... what section?

#5 ·
It still their, haven't seen it in awhile, look under the archive section it's a sticky on the top.

#10 ·
I have all of them.... When I get some time... I will put them all where you guys can get to them.

#12 ·
Neil...

I am guessing you are talking to me.... as my name is the closest to a "Carl" there is on this post ;)

Don't know the name, but I know both last names. I am sure that if you told me the parents, I might know them. My family has been here for generations!

#13 ·
:D I'm sorry Cale, :confused: where on earth did I get Carl from.

I cant remember Baileys dads first name, want to say Jeff but probably wrong about it.
Roberts Racing, guy that owns that team, I know his name is Jeff, Jeff Roberts & he has twin brothers that come with him to the races sometimes.
Jeff builds a arms & swingarms & has some other related item he sells for racing ATVs. Roberts Racing sponcers my soninlaw in the Pro class.
Neil

#18 ·
LOL.... I just took pictures and posted.... haha!

Your right!

#21 ·
Me too

Maybe I'm showing my age but I also have an original Ford "Off Highway Parts" book/catalog. I seem to remember I bought it from my local Ford dealer in around 1972 or 3? Back in the days of 351 Cleeveland Pinto Pro Stockers.
The first "bible" of FOrd performance. Unbelievable info and detail for it's day and still. Makes me all "misty eyed"....:(

#22 ·
do you have any engine specification information for a 1986 460 truck block.
I have a 1986 E-350 Ford Ambulance with a 460/C6 driveline in it and want to know some things about the engine before i put it in my galaxie. most specifically, compression ratio.
It has a 2bbl carb on it, but there is a 2bbl - 4bbl spacer on it, so its actually a 4 bbl intake manifold. I dont know if that makes any difference.

I just bought the van in March of this year for $700. It has 82k miles on it and runs perfect. no knocking or ticking or strange undesired noises. The fuel pump is **** so it would only run for 10 seconds or so...

I'm trying to get some information on the engine before i yank it from the truck and fit it in my galaxie. It is going to get a thorough cleaning and then an induction boost :) I am going to assume that it has an 8.5:1 compression ratio, since it was a truck engine.

any info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Steve

#23 ·
2v Heads with big vavles outperform SCJ heads

I found it very interesting they specified 429 2v heads and not 4v when compareing to the SCJ's. I though the 4v's and 2v's where the same, and just the intake was changed to a 2 barrel type? Surely Ford would not have used a better head on the 2V 429's, and this was just down to dramatise the authur's claim?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.