460 Ford Forum banner

Vac. Pump catch can fill rate?

3K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Bret Powell 
#1 · (Edited)
Jon, I am for the first time experimenting with a vacuum pump on a relatively mild pulling engine. The runs amount to about 20 seconds down the track. On the dyno I was pulling around 9" of vacuum with the Moroso pump. It made for about 10-11 horse and was only loosing about 3-4 lbs oil pressure @ 8000. with vacuum pump it is carrying 70#. This is a stock block with a restrictor in the crossover to the left galley. The pump pulls from the top left front of the valve cover. It really made no noticeable oil in the catch can on the dyno pulls however it is putting about 3 oz of oil in the catch can per track run. I'm running a modified H.V. truck pump

Is this acceptable? Obviously we'll have to keep a watchful eye on it.

Thanks, Bret

#2 ·
Brett, any kind of baffle you can make to shield the oil around the vacuum pickup point will help. There's lots of oil being thrown off the rockers and oil mist everywhere inside the valve covers. It won't hurt to just drain the catch tank every run. .... Jon

#3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply! We have the tall Ford Racing covers on it and the plate baffle plate screwed on the bottom so we do have some blockage going on. And I'm sure the girdles aid in some blockage too.

It just seemed like a lot considering the blockage we have.

Later, Bret

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.