460 Ford Forum banner

d20e-a heads

11K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  big john jr. 
#1 ·
need to know how the d20e heads rank up against the d0ve-c and the d00e-r heads. what ones are better for the money? i can get a set of d2s for 975 all assembled ready to run or should i just wait to find some d00e-r or just get new stuff put into my d0ves?

#3 ·
X2 ... in my opinion, probably the best overall OEM production street head for a big block. It simply has a larger combustion chamber than the other heads which were mentioned.

#6 ·
ok. thanks guys. how much can stock springs accommodate before coil bind?
More than the production "retainer to seal" clearance will allow. They will coil bind around .575".

#8 ·
These heads are more common than the D0OE-R heads yet some people still think them rare and mistakenly ask as much for them as a set of iron CJs. If the D2OEs that you are looking at for $975 are "assembled and ready to run" with decent new springs, valves, and machine work, then I'd think that is a very good deal.

If you want to run that 0.634" roller cam then make certain the necessary machining has been done on the valve train side of the castings.

#9 ·
I priced around some before I bought mine to see if the guy was tring to screw me. Around 400 bux for a bare virgin set is about the norm, I got mine for 300.:D

#15 ·
The PI castings are capable performers when ported correctly. They suffer from the same lame exhaust port architecture that the rest of the BBF lineup does.

Do not expect big HP with OEM unmodified castings. What you should do with them depends on intended use just as the Doves we discussed on the phone. Even those BT heads needed intake port work...

:D

#16 ·
ya i know. but they out flow the doves and are cheaper the the dooes. i dont have alot of moneyy to psend on heads at this moment so im trying to keep it cheap as possible but use some good stuff. who knows i might like the poower i make out of the motor but i dont know yet as i havent drove the truck yet. if i feel the need for re power i can always takem off and gettem ported after the fact. or just spray 150 shot nitrous to her, right?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.