460 Ford Forum banner

Vacuum Pump??

14K views 39 replies 9 participants last post by  MrScharfenberger 
#1 ·
OK.. I've been thinking about putting a vacuum pump on my 521. I had planned on running an exhaust crankcase evacuation system but I found a small pile of money laying around so I thought I would burn it. My question is what vacuum pump do I need? While looking on Summit Racing I found Moroso vacuum pumps that range from $439 to $1100 bucks. There isn't much difference in the descriptions so I am not sure what I need. Also there doesn't appear to be any mounting brackets sold for these things for a 385 series application. I am running a front motor plate so how do you guys get these things hook up? Or do you just fabricate your own bracket?

Thanks in advance for the time & experience.

#2 ·
I went through this in the spring. What really screwed it up for me is I have limited room in front of my engine with my cel and fuel pump mounted behind the rad. And where my rack is mounted there is no way I can get a mandrel on my crankshaft. I went with an electric one, but a belt drive is much better! I see about 5" of vacuum max. Aeromotive also makes a nice kit. Otherwise I didn't find anything for a BBF application. It's fab all the way!

#4 ·
It seemed to help over the evac kit in the headers, but they say 8-12" is optimal. Especially with alky. I noticed a big difference in oil cleanliness. If this pump was on a small block and not a 557 it would probably work great! It is from Kaye racing, and it is NOT for vacuum brakes. He sells a kit with the fittings, hose, and a separator tank that goes between the engine and pump to keep the crud from ruining it. I just bought the pump and tank and made my own hoses with extra aeroquip fittings I had left over from the fuel system. My buddy bought the Aeromotive belt drive kit for his 565 Chevy and he sees 10" at WOT at the finish line. I see 3-5".

#7 ·
Thanks for posting that Rob..

That seems a little expensive though for a used piece. They retail at Summit for $615. I realize he has a pulley & 2 belts with it but the 4 inch pulley retails for only $44 bucks. Maybe I'm missing something obvious here but if I were going to pay that price I'd just buy new and get the warranty that comes with it.

#8 ·
Vacuum Pump

Hi,

I was getting ready to post my Moroso 22641 pump on the Acution Block when I saw this. I pulled 10" with no problems on my big block. I have the pump, mounting bracket to the head and both pullies for $350 plus shipping. Selling cause I stepped up to a Peterson's Wet/Vac combo. Let me know if you're interested.

Rob

Attachments

#9 ·
Hi,

I was getting ready to post my Moroso 22641 pump on the Acution Block when I saw this. I pulled 10" with no problems on my big block. I have the pump, mounting bracket to the head and both pullies for $350 plus shipping. Selling cause I stepped up to a Peterson's Wet/Vac combo. Let me know if you're interested.

Rob
Sounds like a decent deal. How old is it? How many runs on it?

#10 ·
Vacuum Pump

I purchased it from a guy who ran it on his 514 (which i also bought). According to him, he purchased it new and ran it for 2 seasons. I only ran it for 1, (maybe 20 passes at most). I know it'll pull more vacuum, but i have a limiter on the valve cover set at 10". I don't think you'll be disappointed with it.

#11 ·
I purchased it from a guy who ran it on his 514 (which i also bought). According to him, he purchased it new and ran it for 2 seasons. I only ran it for 1, (maybe 20 passes at most). I know it'll pull more vacuum, but i have a limiter on the valve cover set at 10". I don't think you'll be disappointed with it.
Was it run with a motor plate?

#15 ·
Chris Moroso makes a universal bracket for engine plate application for their pumps probably for use with a Mandrel. I will be installing one on mine over winter but due to the super tight clearance in my engine bay (yes even tighter than a Mustang) I am looking into buying a double groove 4 inch crank pulley and running a 6 inch pulley on the vacuum pump I will more than likely be trimming the motorplate and fabricating a bracket to bolt the pump to the front of the cylinder head unless I get crazy and decide to modify the firewall and cowl to move the engine back about 6 inchs. Which is not out the realm of possibilities. I will have to check into the rules but I believe the only thing I will need to do besides the obvious is to add a dash bar to the rollcage to stay legal to 8.50 with the modded firewall.

#16 · (Edited)
nope,peterson, and you cant bolt anything to the front of the heads

#18 ·
main prob is room , noway to do it on the heads on your deal

#21 ·
Moroso Vacuum Pump

Sorry for the delay guys. Live on long island and got hit pretty hard by Sandy. Still no electricity, but was luck enough to borrow a generator from someone. Gotta have internet!

MrScharfenberger - "Was it run with a motor plate?" Answer: The pump was originally run with a motor plate but as you could see from the previous pic i posted, I mounted it to the head. Yes, you'll need a canister to catch the oil.

Boss 429 - isn't there an adjustment on the peterson wetvac to up the vacuum? I hope so considering i already bought one!

A70Maverick - "how far out does your bottom pulley come off of the damper?" Answer: Not that far. I'd have to measure it when I can get to it. But here's a pic to give you an idea.

Rob

Attachments

#22 ·
Sorry for the delay guys. Live on long island and got hit pretty hard by Sandy. Still no electricity, but was luck enough to borrow a generator from someone. Gotta have internet!

MrScharfenberger - "Was it run with a motor plate?" Answer: The pump was originally run with a motor plate but as you could see from the previous pic i posted, I mounted it to the head. Yes, you'll need a canister to catch the oil.

Boss 429 - isn't there an adjustment on the peterson wetvac to up the vacuum? I hope so considering i already bought one!

A70Maverick - "how far out does your bottom pulley come off of the damper?" Answer: Not that far. I'd have to measure it when I can get to it. But here's a pic to give you an idea.

Rob
I am interested in buying it. Do you know what model number it is? And what is the model number of the canister you are running so I can look that up to, to see what I'm going to need.

#25 ·

just for oil presser, up or down

#26 ·
Hmmm, now you have me worried, lol. so how do you fix it? maybe adjust the oil pressure down and spin the pump faster to pull more vacuum? I would think by lowering the oil pressure and spinning it faster it should net the same oil pressure as before, no? Just thinking out loud.

#27 ·
Its not like that, some engines seal up better than others, I have some with drysumps that need a relief valve for vac,and others that flat just dont make vac,and still need a vac pump, Last week we dynoed a bbf with a wetvac peterson the most it made was 4.0,and thru the range was around 3,xxx. just make sure to seal up the engine the best you can.

#28 ·
Ford Swap at Columbus,Oh is the weekend of Thanksgiving. There are usually some w/brackets there FS. Bought mine there,and made my own bracket for Plate.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.