460 Ford Forum banner

Engine dyno room layout plans???

5K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Jima 
#1 ·
Anyone have any plans for how you would layout a dyno test cell? I am just thinking a head here as we are considering adding on to the shop. I got a bunch of paper work from dts the other day about pricing and options, but there weren't any layout plans for how a cell should be set up. The dts is looking like it may be my next major purchase.

Thanks guys,
Kyle

#2 ·
I think if I were building a dyno room I would try to make it as large as possible, I think most of them are too small. If I were to ever build a room for my dyno I think I would probably make one of the walls have an overhead door and then have a corner mounted pivoting crane with a chain hoist to make it easy to load and unload engines from a customer's truck.

Make it easy to wash the floor too because it seems like no matter how careful I am while working on the engine I still tend to make a bit of a mess.

#4 ·
Aw, Doug! Now I'm gonna start thinking that I can build one of those. I'm still working on my wife to start building the garage.

Besides all the exhaust stuff, would be a cool interior addition to a big shop, though!

G
#5 ·
The Guy Riding the Muffler is over the top !!! :lol:

I would agree with Dave, build it as big as pratical, make sure to have big doors and a few of them. I would also consider a couple of drains (Dirty) to allow wash down and maintain it in an extremly clean condition or incase of a major failure or spill it can be cleaned up easily.

A nice work table / Station and extra power and air connections would be nice too.

#7 ·
Big doors and at least one wall with some level of blast protection. Can't believe how many videos I see of people standing next to an engine running on the dyno.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.