460 Ford Forum banner

Need help on exhaust opinions x pipe or h pipe?

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  gregaust 
#1 · (Edited)

Good afternoon all. First a little background info on the setup. Its a 1978 Ford F100 with a 1996 460 installed. I retained the factory efi as well. I'm looking to redo the exhuast as I just went from an e4od to a tko 500 setup.

Personally I would like the truck to sound like the 4.6 mustangs. and before I get bashed, I know a 460 cubic inch motor is going to sound different than a 281 ci motor. I'm more so after the raspy sound.

Setup will be factory manifolds or possibly banks torque tube assembly to either h-pipe or x-pipe setup. Probably dumped before or after rear axles.

What kind of mufflers would be good? Pypes, magnaflow, flowmaster?

Any opinions, advice, help, criticism appreciated please. Thank you all!

See less See more
#2 ·
Where the H-pipe is installed, (as in the distance down the exhaust airstream), is as important as having one. Usually with manifolds and a street type cam and RPM range it is about 72 inches average from the cylinder head exhaust ports.

The biggest body, straight through muffler which fits the chassis will be your best option.

#4 ·
An X pipe will always flow better than an H pipe. So given the choice between the two, go with an X pipe. And yes, the general area still applies for both X and H.
However it sounds, just go with that. Exhaust flow efficiency should be the first priority...then sound.
Flowmasters sound great, but they are very restrictive and actually kill power.
A straight thru design, like the DynoMax Bullets are far superior.

#6 ·
From testing we've done , X or H makes little difference . The important part is where it is located . There is good power and torque gains to be had simply by placing it right . An average point is around 18" from the start of the collector .
To get it there usually is too close for an X

Pipemax is an interesting program if you've not heard of it .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.