460 Ford Forum banner

why stroke it?

7K views 45 replies 18 participants last post by  Mark O'Neal 
#1 ·
The engine that is:D

What is the hp difference in a lets say 10-1 comp engine with dv3e reworked heads and basically similar setups but one is a 460 and the other is a stroked like 513 or 557 or 532ci engine?
im just wondering if theres a big enuff difference in hp n tourque numbers to make the xtra stroker money worth the while. Tnx, PB72

#4 ·
for myself..... the answer is simple.
If I had to rebuild a 429/460, the cost of reconditioning 40 year old parts is getting close to a stroker rotating assembly.
So instead of a 429, why not a 521? In a street car to me this means I could make more power in a tamer vehicle. Seems like a win-win situation.

Probably the same reason I'd buy alum SCJ heads instead of paying for a full rebuild of some D0VE heads.

#5 ·
It's all about putting the power where you need it.

High RPM use won't necessarily benefit from an increase in displacement, as increasing the stroke increases friction and the stress on the parts relative to RPM..

Low RPM power on the other hand is much more easily attained with additional displacement, as the friction/stresses don't play as big of a role.

Airflow capacity will also factor into how much displacement you can run with pumping losses becoming an issue at higher rpms.....meaning an airflow restricted engine will be able to rev higher with less displacement.

;)

#9 · (Edited)
Unless you have unrestricted intake and exhaust ... you will most likely be the loser but, you can satisfy your probable need for brute torque. LOL

8,000 RPM 557...? Really...?
Realistically, that would be about the same as a 9,400 RPM 460.

#10 ·
I was going to say "because it feels good" but that might not be appropriate.

I think someone else already basically said the same thing, but no substitute for cubic inches.

#19 ·
What I mean by "easier to handle"
means....

Build a 500hp 429 vs a 500hp 521. See which one is 'easier to handle' in traffic.

Mind you this is an incredibly simplistic comment not factoring 6000 variables.
Depends on the car/truck and how it's set up.

#23 ·
Why stroke? LOL!

I wish I could of posted first LOL! more TRQ at idle! you need any more convincing than that?

well maybe you may be the rare breed of 600ci in a Pinto wheel based Pinto kinda drivers.

I apologize in advance for not reading the 2 pages of post , I read the title got excited and and posted. oh and the spam verification I have to listen to for an answer, Applebee's is not "better for Lunch" Answer, I had to type in... they actually suck on my end, make you sick I'm laughing right now and I should be pissed, but hey I just say it like I saw it.

#28 ·
You know it is so much easier (most of the time) to deal with someone who is building something for racing. You know the goal and maybe a rule book to refer to.

Street stuff is all over the map and usually have to pull details out of the customer and at the same time educate them. I don't think most understand what you can do with 400 hp in a 3,000 lb. car. It is more than most can use on the street.

I tend to think most be served well with a good used engine with addition of a cam, intake, carb., ignition, and headers. Add a mild stall converter and some gear and you are set. A little lope in the idle, and enough power to put you back in the seat some is what most really want. Not putting a ton of money in it and being done and driving it something to be said for that.

I have over the years seen a lot of time and money spent, many times to be different, special, or have the meanest piece in town. Many times ends in frustration. You really have to be a hard core type of guy or spend a lot of money to have someone else do it for you.

A 460 can be a lot of fun fairly easily.

In closing I was thinking of that '32 Ford Coupe from American Graffiti. Man that was one "bitchin" ride. Has the look, sound, stance. Got to wondering how fast it was. Has a 327 and should be light so at least 12's... no try 14's and for many is all you need (but BBF will be faster!).

#29 ·
The way I see it if your going to spend hard earned money on a start from scratch build get all you can get. ( what your pocket can handle )

Not everybody wants a 600+ hp motor they just think they do.

#34 ·
And that is where it starts "get all you can get". What does that mean? Most HP, best parts, biggest displacement??? IMO is much better to define honestly what your goal is and get what you need to reach it.[/QUOTE]

What I'm saying is if you are going to build a motor from nothing why not build a stroker with the same compresion you would a stock stroke build but if your pocket won't allow a extra say 500$ on the stroker then build a stock stroke good compresion set up with what ever parts you find used and cheap.

This is going to sound funny but I like a stock stroke set up my self but it's because I would rather have a short stroke big bore combo.

I also think that every gearhead should own a stroker motor once in there life just so they can decide for there self what they like.

#39 ·
Strange yes....good yes.:D. Pb72

This is an interesting thread. Currently I'm screwing together a 408 Windsor for my '67 Mustang. I want torque with the ability to cruise down the highway in OD with the AC and stereo on. It all depends on what you want to do with your car.

I've said it before. I want it to idle like a Crown Vic and rev like a chainsaw. I want to run on 87 octane and get 30 mpg while running 8's on street tires.

Life is a compromise, but boost and electronics are getting us all closer to optimum........:cool:

#44 ·
Not to derail the tread, but here's a link to a thread with more detail: http://www.460ford.com/forum/showthread.php?t=166689

The reason I posted that graph here is that there seems to be a common misconception that there's some kind of rule saying strokers make more power down low, and smaller engines make more power up high.

It's all a matter of how you build it, which is why the OP's question needs to be further defined. A 429/460 can absolutely make more power in the lower rpm ranges than a stroker that's designed to run at higher rpms, and visa versa. Which one is "easier to handle" depends on far more factors than engine displacement.

#45 ·
Real life actualities of the engines:
a 500 horsepower 466 will make 500 lb/ft of torque at the same 5,252 RPM
a 500 horsepower 557 will make 656 lb/ft of torque at 4,000 RPM

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.