460 Ford Forum banner

6 AL & 3 step

3K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  bbstickstang 
#1 ·
First, I am not an electric genius. So this blows my mind.

Talked to MSD about my ignition box, and needs - I have an older 6AL, and I want to use a step activated by Line Loc for burnout, then second step for staging on clutch and line loc, then third step basic over rev limiter. Iwas toying with a newer digital two step built in box, but they said no, no need.

The Tech said my 6 AL was more than fine, and just add the 3 step. So I asked how to wire it up, so the 1st and 2nd step were burnout and staged on the line lock repectively, but how to seperate the line lock activation from the clutch latch on the 1st step, then have them work in unison on the second step for staging.

We talked about switches to flip back and forth?:confused:

Anyone running anything like this?

#2 ·
I have the same set up. 6al and 3 step.
I don't remember the colors but one color wire when it has 12v on it it overrides the other.
I used to have a toggle switch and momentary switch to activate the 3 step and LL. That worked fine with the FE because the burn out and launch were about the same, not so with the 460. Launch 4400-4800, burnout 6500. I once forgot to flip the switch up for launch and it left at 6500 and stood on the back bumper and that was only the 7th pass on the 460.

So now I have my momentary switch for launch on the dash where I can push it with my index finger while my hand is on the top of wheel. I put a switch on the shifter for burnout in 2nd or 3rd gear. The momentary switch for launch on the dash overrides the burnout switch so it limits at launch.

I also have it wired through a relay at the clutch pedal so it releases the LL and launch limit at the same time.

Clear as mud?

#3 ·
Very, muddy! And exactly what I was thinking, Dennis on FM used a DPDT with a momentary on toggle but that sounded complicated and like you cant recall how its wired.

Soooo, I was thinking, wondering if the shifter LL would activate the burnout step, and then how to seperate or shift if to the stage with the clutch latch swith. Was thinking either a toggle or like a transbrake button on the wheel for the stage. Toggle would require a momentary on position though.

Sooooo, at the end of the day, your staged on the second step with a clutch switch and your holding a button and having release or let it go when you dump the clutch..

I was wondering if all this occured with the clutch switch or you actually had to hold that button. A toggle wouldnt allow it to kick over to the 3rd over rev step.

Launch at 6000, holy crap, and you didnt break anything. BAD TO THE BONE!

#4 ·
http://sbftech.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=1754.0;attach=2106;image

I have mine wired this way :
Red goes to momentary switch on shifter for burnout only (6500 rpm).
Blue is on momentary switch on dash just in front of steering wheel. (4200-4800)
Relay is on clutch pedal. Relay is pulled in by the dash switch when pedal is depressed. You can release the dash switch and the relay will stay in till you break the switch with the pedal. Relay will not pull back in till you mash the dash switch again.
The rpm limit on the blue wire will override the limit on the red wire.

yea 6500 is too much for the new motor on the launch.

With my old street FE I used to only have a 6al box with no 2 or 3 step and I would leave on the top limit at 7000, then shift at 6000. FE was a .060 ,390, PI intake , 427 rockers, CJ valves , crane solid 227 @ 0.05 .530 lift on a 114 lobe sep. pretty mild.
I would run it in the footbrake class and they ask me if I had a 2 step because the would hear it pop. Nope no 2 step just a 6al and leaving off the upper limit. LOL

#5 ·
Roger, getting clearer on the momentaries on shifter LL and dash, steering wheel or dash momentary.

Whats tossing me is getting the LL actuated and holding while on the staged step with the steering wheel/dash button - I know the clutch latch keeps that relay closed until the clutch is dumped, but how is that tied to the LL at the same time?

Or am I reading this wrong?

Also, you do have the relay for the two step, clutch latch with that Jumper like the directions how?

#6 ·
I have mine wired this way :
Red goes to momentary switch on shifter for burnout only (6500 rpm).
Blue is on momentary switch on dash just in front of steering wheel. (4200-4800) - do you run or need to run a relay on the Line Lock step? Blue side,

Relay is on clutch pedal. Relay is pulled in by the dash switch when pedal is depressed. You can release the dash switch and the relay will stay in till you break the switch with the pedal. Relay will not pull back in till you mash the dash switch again.
The rpm limit on the blue wire will override the limit on the red wire.
Is this clutch relay, the one you have to put a jumper on for the clutch, to shut if off for shifting when the momentary is not engaged?

#7 ·
This is the basic wiring for a 3 step. You use the blue wire on a 3 step for launch. In this 2 step wiring they are using the red wire. The red wire on a 3 step I use on a momentary switch on the side of the shifter. Red operates LL and burnout RPM on module 1.
Blue wire: Clutch switch powers relay, momentary switch on dash pulls relay in and activates LL and launch module 3. Relay will not pull in unless clutch is mashed BUT 3 step and LL will work if momentary switch is mashed. You have to make sure you release the momentary switch or the LL and 3 step will stay on.

Clearer or muddier?

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f79/mmb617/2stepwiring.jpg
NOT MY PHOTO

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.