460 Ford Forum banner

What's good axle choice , 40 spline

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  D.I.L.L.I.G.A.S. 
#1 ·
I need to purchase a set of 40 spline axles. Does it matter who I get? What's a good choice and good price?

#2 ·
All depends on the car's intended purpose, and how much money you want to spend.

Moser's stuff is about the lowest cost vs good usability. Their axle shafts vs the flange areas are heat treated differently so that the axle shaft holds up to strip use, and the flange/bearing area holds up to street use (cornering/side loading).

A step up in quality is the Strange stuff. They have a cheaper street-strip axle, and the more expensive race only axle. Their race axle really shouldn't be used on the street cuz it's flange/bearing area could possibly fail under street use corner/side loading because both the axle & flange are heat treated for race use.

Top of the heap is the Mark Williams stuff. Like Strange, M/W also has a lower cost street-strip axle, and a more expensive race only axle. M/W's 35 & 40 spline race axles have a different/better spline angle-pressure angle (45*) than what moser & strange uses. That means that you can't use a 35 or 40 spline M/W race axle with a Strange or Moser 35/40 spline spool (and vise versa).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.