460 Ford Forum banner

probe pistons and nitrous...

3K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  Gmsmkr 
#1 ·
hey, i am putting together a p51 headed pump gas 523 motor. should make 700ish hp on motor and want to spray 250-300 through a fogger. i have probe standard 14804-040 pistons.
assuming a good tune, how do these hold up to the nitrous? pins?

thanks, wayne

#2 ·
I see that piston has a .375 top ring land with a -.200 dish depth with a good tune it will be ok pilled up to 300.. Depending on fuel pressure and so on I don't see a problem. This is just what I see and I would hit with the 300 my self.

Edit: what's the quench on the combo?

#3 · (Edited)
With a good tune, you wont have any problems. Make sure that you take any sharp edges off the top of the piston, and maybe give the crown a light bead blast. Use a tool steel pin, 0.185" wall should be enough. A 40 thou overbore really limits the choice of rings that you can get, especially if you want to put Hellfires or their equivalent in. I used Akerly and Childs rings.

The Icon pistons I used are pretty much the same design as yours, and made from the same material.

http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/uem-ic852-040/overview/

Your build sounds really close to what I have. There is a bit of a thread on it if you want a look:

http://www.460ford.com/forum/showthread.php?t=175425

I haven't hit it with any nitrous yet, but I've asked the same questions as you have already about it, and I'm giving you the answers that I got.

#6 ·
Randy, thanks the pin was my biggest concern.
yea i was hoping mark would chime in, and he probably will. if not i will run it past him.
the quench i am going to try and set around .040 . i always remove any sharp edges.
thanks everyone for the input

wayne

#7 ·
In addition to the other useful info here I would like to add that proper ring gap is essential. Screw that up and you guaranty failure regardless of piston material.

S

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.