460 Ford Forum banner

2000 Ford Ranger Build

110K views 430 replies 35 participants last post by  penak 
#1 ·
Building it for the strip not the for the streets putting a mild 460 built mostly off here with used and new parts.The trans c6 the stall still in ? until I get the truck finish and wieght of it.Putting a 12 point roll cage from Applied Racing Technology (A.R.T.) out of Clearwater FL. Goig with a 9in. ford rear with 4 link gears still in ?Going to be moveing the engine back alittle to help with the wieght tranfer and going with motor plates. I know for the mild 460 it is a little over kill, but if go with more cubes and hp later on I want the truck to hadle it with out changing everything.Heres some pics of the truck and when I got the old motor out and dash out of it.

See less See more
#6 ·
Looking good ! What size rear tires are you planning on running ? I just sold my narrowed 9 inch outta my 86 . Gonna build another at tax time maybe , probly stock length as ranger with ladder bars and coilovers .

#8 ·
The 28x10.5's off my 86 fit directly onto the stock rearend and sit flush with the wheel lips . I plan on installing 29x11.5 at tax time with ladder bars and coilovers . Gonna get one more inch of backspacing should fill the wheel wells real nice . ;)

#9 ·
Thanks for the heads up on the tires, mine is a flairside or stepside witch ever they call them now. We measured before pulling the bed off I had a little over 14" from frame rail to fender lip. I think I should be ok on a 12" wheel but I will have to wieght until I get the 9" narrowed and all the other figured out to know what I can make work. But more than likely it will be after tax time with chirstmas coming up. I will be happy getting the engine mounted and the roll cage in and finished and inside finished by the end of the year. It bad to be on a set budget and trying to build something but when finished it will be worth every min. of time it took when hitting the track with it.

Jim

#13 ·
What does that cage cost ? Maybe you could pm with contact info on the company that makes it ;). I used a Jegs cage in my 86 wasnt too bad a deal but I ordered a 12 point and only sat it up as a 10 , didnt like the 1 1/4 door bars so I used the bars meant to be the front struts as door bars . I was gona get some more tubing and make front strut bars but never got to it .

#14 ·
bigblok86ranger I just ordered my header kit that you told me about I also ordered 2 shorty mufflers got the headers and mufflers for $3.oo cheaper than I could get the headers only with the $150 orders and over for only $6.99 shipping special they have right now.

On the roll cage i got it from http://appliedracing.com/ I call them one morning and they had them to me the next day they are in clearwater fl. mine was $445 for 12 point ex cab delivered i think i ordered on tueday and got them on wed.If you call in the morning they try to ship them the same I got mine before the money came out of the bank.I am not saying they get everybodys out that fast but they did mine.

Jim

#18 · (Edited)
I got my motor plate and mid plate last weekend had to do some mods on the front plate for it would around the timing pointer and had to open up the water holes to match waterpump it only had the small holes for csi pump so I opened them to work on a regular pump thats about all the time I had

#21 ·
Dont get me wrong strip only isnt bad but my motor was built to drive so it was real disappointing to have it sit in the garage on weekends there was no racing or no budget .

Oh the cops used to love me around here too , but I have been a good boy for a few years now .

P.S. It is never a good idea to tell a cop that is being a ***** that , " he is the one who is lucky I didnt try to run because my car will do 110 in first whats that POS cop car do 85 topend " ;)

#22 ·
Well got the motor and trans in had to do some more cutting had to cut out a notch in the front crossmemder for the oil pan so I could lower the engine down and and trans to level everything out. Centered the motor and trans in the frame rails for the 9" rearend when I get it narrowed going to put the 3rd member in the center so I can run the same length axles on both sides.Going to lower the rack when we pull the engine and trans back out for the the header will have some more room. I going to have to get a remote oil filter adampter no room for the oil filter.Got to cut the front motor plate to clear the hatchit on the front didn't think about it when I bolted in on until I got to looking after we got it set in no biggy I did't put any gaskets on the water pump.It's more work than I thought it was going to be but it all in building your own for the first time.I don't think I would be this far along if it wasn't for Rick keeping me stright on it he has set up a few and is a big help on this project,I would be lost and it would take 3 times longer to get everything right with out his help.For the ones who don't know him he is the one I go to the track with he has the red Mazda RX7 with the 557 BBF in it that I post vids of.Heres some pics of what we got done today.

#26 ·
I don't now but I am going to leave the lines off and put a filter to keep dirt out and run it like it is for now it will just be strip only but might not work good on the street thats the way my buddy did his on the rx7 but if I hear of a manu. for them I will let you now

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.