460 Ford Forum banner

429 install into 1968 montego wagon

52K views 429 replies 24 participants last post by  68xr7cat 
#1 ·
Hello everyone I have a 1971 429 motor that I am currently installing into my wagon. I know it's not a complete car build up or restore but I have some questions and would like some advice. I have what I think are thunderbird or boss motor mounts. They are the big wide ones that bolt right to the block. And I have bought frame mounts that bolt to the frame. I know I am missing the insulator which I was going to make myself because they are way to expensive for a hunk of metal I can make myself. Anyway I got the engine on the crane last night and lowered it down in my car, which is up on jack stands in my garage. To have my engine down far enough to get the power brake booster on and get the trans to fit as well as the gas pedal z bar to work my block mounts are basically sitting on my frame mounts. My question is how can there be a 4 inch tall insulator???? I'm dumbfounded! So I took the frame mounts off and lowered it in and have it sitting where I want it and it clears everything and I can get the top bolts in the trans. But the frame mounts on the block are about three inches away from the frame!! Does anyone have an pictures of what the mounts all bolted together and in the car look like??? I was going to buy the crites kit but that's 210$!! And it looks like it would make it too tall. My airplanes gonna already be sticking out of the hood. And any pictures of what your 429 looks like in your engine bay, spacing from the firewall and side to side but mostly I just want to see a pic of the engine in a mustang or whatever and see what the mounts look like. That's I appreciate it. Ned d to move past this so I can get going.
Sent from my SCH-I535 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

Attachments

See less See more
#305 ·
You currently have a points set up if I remember correctly if not please correct me, your options are 1. Pertronics upgrade which is cost effective and easy. 2. Get a Ford duraspark distributor as per Scotty's website and set it up the way you need it to be, or just call and order one from him curved to your application , still very cost effective but a bit more. 3. Get an MSD or Mallory depending on what you want, which I think for you is over kill and money spent that is not needed to be spent.

You can still upgrade to an MSD Control box if you want and use all 3 options.

D

#308 ·
When it comes to the mechanical distributor I don't know anything about them, so I can't help you but the pertronics served me well till I got a distributor from Scotty.

I used a B&M shift kit the first time and was pleased with it and then when I overhauled my old C6 I installed an SK-6 kit which was good as well, as far which kit you pic it really doesn't matter as your not racing if the transgo is good, then order one up. Oregon performance is priced good, I believe they are on ebay as well.

D

#309 ·
Yeah my last engine was my 390 and had a stock distributor with a crane cam xr1 electronic pickup and was pleased with it. The mallory is still points which I'm trying to do away with. But as far as shift kit goes I've heard good things about the transgo so think I'm gonna go with that when I get back and get those tires chirping. It shifts good just not as firm as I want it to.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#310 · (Edited)
Ok so I got the overheating thing fixed. Put a mechanical fan on it and voila. Now I want to take the carb apart and see what jets and squirter are in there currently. Whats size primary and secondary jets should I have for a stock 429 with a 750 holley? What power valve? What accelerater size? Also I'm running 13* intinial timing with 26* or mechanical advamce so 39* total all in by 2700. Is this too much total? Initial? I haven't heard any pinging at all on this motor yet.

#311 · (Edited)
What I would do is worry about the full advance setting so if its 39* set it there and just let initial fall where it falls, there is nothing wrong with 13 mine is 15ish.

D

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#313 ·
I think you would want to be closer to 36 max with iron heads. What slots are available in your distributor? 13 & 15? Even if you were 36 all in you would be 10 initial, I'm sure it would be fine mine was 8 before and had no issue. How does it run at 10 initial?

D

#314 ·
Yeah that's what I thought. I have a 13L & 18L. It was on the 18 and I had 50* of advance. Even then I didn't hear any pinging. I'm baffled by that. I run 93 in it with lead additive. I had it at 10* before and it ran good so I bumped it up to 13* to see what it would do. Was also trying to figure out overheating problem then. I'm about to tear into the carb and see what jets are in there. Its powerful but feels rich even at 3/4 turn of idle mixture screws.

#315 ·
I would bump it back to 10 so that you are at 36 all in and leave it there.

Sounds like you are getting her dialed right in, sweet. Any car shows lately?

D

#316 ·
Alright ill try that. Yeah I am. It starts right up on the first try. Better than a new car lol. Very powerful too. Working on getting some rearend under there to make it quicker. I have one coming up and now that it doesn't overheat I have been driving it everywhere. Swear it gets like 76 miles to the gallon... I drive it like I stole it. but my valve stem seals are bad which need replacing. Its embarrassing when it blows smoke on start up. I meant to ask you how you fan setup went! Got any pictures?

#317 ·
You can fix those seals in the off season enjoy it while you can, I like when guys bring their projects to shows.

I have my 3G alternator in and just need to get the fans and relays installed, I went to pick n pull and grabbed al the factory relays and fuses and wiring harnesses for the setup and for the 3G upgrade it cost me $25 for everything. The only thing I need to do is get a core now so I can get my $60 core charge back from Napa. Lol. But I won't make a special trip only of I need something else or feel like hitting the wrecks to see what's in there.

I am in AZ enjoying the heat by the pool right now and will get the fans installed when I get back to Canada. Haven't even been to a car show yet this year, but I have been getting some miles on the new OD trans, I also need to deal with my oil seepage issues as it seems it has good crankcase pressure and I am going to do an air pump catch setup as well. Always something to do. Lol.

D

#318 ·
Yeah I know I have been enjoying it quite a lot. Ive been to one car show before i put my new fan on and i overheated bad on the way back. Cant wait to take it to the track! Hey that's not bad only $25. Those core charges will get you lol. Wow AZ huh thats a bit far from canada. Enjoying vacation I'm guessing. the desert is wonderful. I've lived in pa all my life. Its been cold here the last couple of days its weird and by cold I mean like 70's maybe 80's but usually its like 95* outside. Yeah I have oil pushing out of my timing cover seal around my crank. Need to set up my egr soon. Another thing that bothers me. My oil also gets dirty really quick. I'm thinking its because of my short drives less than a mile multiple times a day. But so far it runs great and idles so smooth.

#320 ·
Hey guys been awhile to update but anyway car has been running cool and reliable. The other day I decided to check my gas pedal linkage. Well turns out my gas pedal was barely pulling my throttle halfway. So I fixed that and readjusted my kickdown cable. Low and behold the true power of the mighty Ford Big Block came out to play. This whole time I have been driving this thing around doing burnouts and whatnot at HALF THROTTLE!! well I got about twenty minutes of driving and a big Smokey burnout at FULL THROTTLE before my trans I rebuilt early this year died. So now I'm going to pull the trans tomorrow and see what went wrong. My oh my was I surprised to feel how powerful and fast it really was. Holy crap! Can wait to get this 460 built and put in, unfortunately that's put on the back burner til trans is fixed. Anyway ill post up more after I get trans out and apart.

#321 ·
DOH! That definitely sucks!

Hopefully, the trans case will be still in good shape.

#324 ·
I picked up a 63 390 galaxie 3 speed toploader for $25, a bellhousing & a pedal from a 400m bronco for $15, a flywheel from a 390 for $20, and a shifter for $15, out of craigs list, ebay, local junk yards, etc. I bought a new clutch/pp/to bearing from napa. It's all going in soon. I gotta build a z bar and brackets, and set it all up.

You should put my c6 behind your engine. It's been slipping and dying for 7 years. At one point 5 years ago, it was slipping so bad that I couldn't leave the neighborhood. I put 1/4 cup of brake fluid in it and its been going ever since. It's been flaring pretty bad going into 3rd for 2 years. I just ease off of it to let it shift. I don't baby it otherwise.

#325 ·
What happened is you did not set up the modulator and used an unknown valve body, plus is your first time out so your still learning too. I hope that converter is not a Dayco. I'd look at the line pressure, pull the VB, see what the fluid looks like and air check the clutches. Did you bypass the factory cooler and put a new external cooler on?

BTW what exactly is the issue?

#326 ·
fuel milage

Quick question...... AFTER fixing throttle...... were you STILL getting like 76 MPG????? LMAO!!! I'm thinking NOT! LOL!

But fuel mileage is over rated anyways! haha. Before I made changes to Torino I was using aprox 1 1/2 - 2 gals of 114 racing fuel to go from my trailer to sitting in staging lane, heat up tires, make a 1/4 mile pass and back to trailer. So aprox a 1/2 mile round trip. So I don't get MPG....... I get GPM's!! hahaha About 3 gallons for a mile of fun. And it's only 8.50 a gallon! lol

Hope you're having fun with it! I'm buttoning things up and hoping to run tomorrow and Sunday for test and tuning. We will see if I break my best of 12 sec flat and get better fuel mileage to boot!

Have a good weekend! Will let you know what happens :D

#327 ·
i installed the crane electronic pickup and low and behold my wagon came to life. finally got rid of those points. anyway yeah a manual trans behind a big block i can only imagine how much fun. i love shifting my v6 truck let alone my wagon which puts my truck to shame lol. but yes i didnt have anything set up when i first put the trans in i.e. kickdown valvebody, modulator. plus it was my first time as well, but it did last a good bit until i unleased the beast that resides under the hood. next time i will have a shift kit in it and modulator already set up with the correct length kickdown cable all ready to go. i drive like i stole it so my 6-7 miles per gallon (which was much better when i just cruised around) is normal lol. hell my truck barely gets 14 mpg putting around in it. anyway i did a have aftermarket cooler and bypassed the factory. line pressure was my one concern and i never checked it. checke everything else tho. the converter is a boss hog converter stock stall. im really excited to see what you run ag460torino. im sure you will whoop 12's ***. well ill be taking the trans out tomorrow and i will post what i find. thanks again and have a great weekend everyone.

#329 ·
Ok today i drove it to my shop about a mile away from my house. It had almost no reverse. First would slip a little and then grab and go and seemed to shift fine tho. Got it up and trans pan off to find this. Trans is now out and on the floor. I had magnet in the pan and it picked up a lot of stuff.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.