460 Ford Forum banner

Help Buying an F-250 Wanted

9K views 59 replies 22 participants last post by  talonhead 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm in the market for an F-250. The year range that I'm looking at is anywhere from a 2000 to a 2005. Price range is $7000 up to $12,500. Does anybody have any advice as far as what engine to get? There seems to be many Triton 5.4's out there but how good are the V10's? Or should I just hold out for a diesel and pay the premium for one? I've read reviews on the older Powerstroke 7.3 litre motors and they seem pretty good. I've also read reviews that are both good and bad for the newer 6.0 litre turbo diesels. So what do you guys think about those? Most of what I will do with it will be highway towing so a 2wd would seem like it would do but I kind of want a 4x4 just because that is what I would really like. This will not be a daily driver so the extra gas for a 4x4 does not scare me. Sharing your past experiences with these trucks and opinions will be greatly appreciated. All I know for sure is I wasnt an F-250. I do not want a Chevy and I do not want a Dodge. They are OK but I live in a Ford town and I am at heart a Ford guy. Thanks in advance!!

#2 ·
unless your pulling a long way or have a big trailer go with the 5.4.i have a 05 with the 5.4 and love it.diesel would geat about the same mpg but the cost,IMO,is not worth it.i pull a 36'featherlite with no problems but i have'nt been "on the road"with it,just the local track about 30miles.

#5 ·
Do not buy a 2002-2005 6.0L! Lemon city. My 2006 DRW 6.0L has been great but I also did the typical PM upgrades as well as some other mods. And my dually gets 17 around town if I'm kind to it and 20-23 on the highway empty. Loaded with my 28 ft tag I get 14-15 @ 70 mph. And those numbers are facts from math, not from the trip computer

#7 ·
I have heard the very same thing about the first years of the 6.0 litre diesel and that scares me. I would realy like a diesel but I don't have to have one. Did they change some things about the 6.0 motor in 2006 that make a difference in the dependability? Also have you had any issues with yours at all? And I don't just mean the motor, I'm refering to all the other systems as well.

And thanks for the replies so far guys. It is most helpful!

#6 ·
I've got a 5.4 250 4x4 and it will pull whatever I hook it to , but on the interstate I get passed by diesel 250s pulling similar loads when we hit the hills . IMHO I am staying 5.4 because the cost of maintenance and parts . If my wife was working full time I'd be in a diesel for sure. :)

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

#9 ·
An older 7.3 unit would be ideal, but its hard to find one that is not worn out and needs a bunch of stuff (trans, frt end,rearend work, eng updates etc) to be really reliable. All the 2003.25 to 2007 6.o's can have issues, but you can pick one up for a deal and just plan on spending a few grand on it and have a reliable rig. The 2008 to 2010 trucks are the best of the bunch...........except for the 6.4 engine that is a total fail...........I'd trust a 400k IDI to get me across county before I would a 20k mile 6.4 lol. The 2011 are even better,but you will pay less for a nice house than you will the truck lol.............and it can still break down or go to derate mode over the smallest elctronic glitch and there you are.................

#10 ·
diesel trucks are kinda like a lot of other things. once you get them out of your system you are never going back. i have owned three of them. along with other stupid things like a 50 bmg armalite, 1919a4 semi, 454 casull, 375 h and h, 300 weatherbys....and finally when i was a sailor, the clap. all about the same....fwiw, bobn

#12 · (Edited)
I like diesel trucks, but unless you tow a lot and often and far you don't seem to get you money's worth out of them until you sell them. I have a 5.4 Excursion, and no it won't out pull a power stroke, but it does what I need it to. I guess what I'm saying is would I like a diesel ...yes, do I need a diesel no. In The price range your looking to spend, you can either get a lower level( condition wise) diesel, or a fairly nice gasser deal.

#13 ·
This does help and everything you say makes sense. There just seems to be that knuckle dragging man in me that wants to beat his chest and drive a diesel. I have found quite a few very nice low mileage trucks out there with the 5.4 Triton.

Does anybody have any opinions about the V10? Is it good, bad or just ugly? I've found a few of those as well at very reasonable prices. The horsepower is kind of low but they do seem to have a good bit of torque. The thing that I want more than anything is reliability.

#15 ·
Well different strokes for different folks i guess. I'll never own a gas truck again. Fact is the diesel technology is far surperior to gas stuff. Take a look at our buds across the pond...

My gas truck has been AWESOME but the diesel just does everything better

#20 ·
I have a 02 f250 crew cab short bed with the 7.3 and I love it. I tow my 28ft enclosed tag 200mi each way to the track and average around 13mpg loaded at 65-70mph. Unloaded I have seen a best of around 18mpg. Although I have a bigger 315 tire on mine, a edge programmer and a 4" turbo back exhaust. This is the 2nd 7.3 I've had and I love them. If you keep an eye out for one with around 120-150k miles on it you are golden! And the crew cab rules over the x-cab. Especially if you have kids. John.

#59 ·
my 01 f-250 is the same as yours except i run a sct programmer,love the diesel alot more power than the 460 we had we get about what you get,only problem i got is the front sway bar keeps getting loose,gueaa i need a aftermarket one

#21 ·
I've got a real nice 97 F-250 (2wd) Powerstroke that I'm wanting to sell.

Here's a link to pics and specs on the truck,..........
http://www.powerstrokenation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31226&highlight=

These pics are a few years old, but it looks just as good in person as it does in these shots. Only thing different about it now is the stereo system is gone, as well as the center rear jump seat (replaced it with center console to match the front) and the stock HPOP was reinstalled over the Adrenaline one. Transmission has been rebuilt and has less then 2000 miles on it.

I've put about 35k on it since I've owned it. ONLY reason I'm selling it, is to upgrade to a dually.

I love the truck and I will truely miss it. I've put a lot of time and effort into building an awesome ride that turns heads everywhere I take it,........but it's time to let someone else enjoy it.

I bought the truck in the spring of 2008 in South Carolina (no rust) w/ 285k on the odometer. It currently has 318k on it.

I replaced, fixed, rebuilt or replaced every in this truck (except for the engine itself),......New turbo, tranny, injectors, glow plugs, hpop, shocks, bushings, carpet, floor mats, steering wheel, custom seats, fuel pump, brakes, rotors, ball joints,.......you name it, I've done it. hahaha

Let me know if you're interested.

Price is $8900 obo

FWIW,......
email me directly at kblkbrn@bellsouth.net for a faster response.

Keith Blackburn
606-477-7327

#28 ·
The Search Is Over!!

Is it a 4x4? No

Is it an extended cab? No

Is it a crew cab? No

Is it a diesel? No

Is it low miles? No

So why did I buy it you ask?? Because the price was right!! $500 Bucks!!

The search is over. It was everything I didn't want. Standard cab, 2x4 gas 5.4 Triton motor with 190,000 miles on it.

The Upside:
Dealer maintained.
New Brakes on all 4 wheels
New transmission with only 5000 miles on it.
Truck was never used as a truck. It carried a supervisor around all it's life. Never pulled a trailer and never had a heavy load in the bed. Everything works and it runs great.

....and did I mention only $500 bucks? It was an easy decision.

#30 ·
I know you got a truck but this might help someone later on that has similar questions

I have a friend with a 2000 V10 F250 gets 10mpg great motor lots of power just hard on fuel

I have a 1999 F250 ext cab, long bed, 7.3 diesel, 6 speed stick, 2 wheel drive.. I get 22mpg on the highway running 70mph hand calculated on a long trip all highway ...mixed city and highway I get 19-20mpg.... I have it chipped 4" exhaust and cold air intake on it

pulling my 26' interstate enclosed I get about 14 mpg @ 70mph tows like a raped ape loaded the trailer weighs about 9400lbs

#32 ·
I have a 2000 F250 with a V10, hence my screen name V10 KILLS Z-71S I have 300,000 trouble free miles. Great engines, just dont get older tha 2000, before that they less hp. If you dont pull real heavy, a diesel is not needed and the maint costs will be way more than a V10.

#34 ·
Ok.. I just bought the K&N air filter kit (part number 57-2525-2) for this thing. This isn't just a stock style replacement filter but the full kit. I'm hoping to improve the mileage some. I'll report back on how well it works.

I've also found that they make headers for this thing. They are shorty headers and I'm not sure they would be worth the hassle of installation. Anybody out there have any experience with headers on a 1999 F250 with the Triton motor? The purpose of the headers is not more power, just better mileage.

#35 ·
Damn, Chris you sure can find some deals on cars and trucks!

I found a semi rusted but only $300 foxbody coupe any chance you can find one for same price rust free unmolested???

PS Has to be 86-93

#38 · (Edited)
I looked around about 6 months before I bought this. I just happened to be in the right place at the right time. It was not advertised or anything. A service manager at a company mentioned that they were going to sell the truck that the recently retired supervisor used. I offered him cash on the spot and he took it just so he could be done with it. ....total luck really.

I did get the Mustang cheap as well. I was out yard saleing and I saw it on the side of a guys house. It wasn't for sale but I asked about it. He told me it didn't run and it needed a transmission. I offered him $300 cash on the spot and told him I would haul it out of his yard that day. The rest is history!! Oh yeah.. It needed 5 quarts of transmission fluid. I then proceeded to drive it for the next 6 months.

I'll keep my eyes out for a foxbody for you. Never know what I'll come across next...

no sh*t! mine has never got over 12 just around town.on the road it'll do 15.i still would'nt have a junkass diesel tho!:D
Dang Bob.. Now you have me scared. I already ordered it. Oh well. I'm going to try it anyway just to see what I can **** up next!! :D
That mileage that I was getting was while pulling nothing with the bed empty. I'm sure it will go way down with a car trailer and a Mustang behind it.

#36 ·
if you have a f250 ford with a 5.4 that gets 15 you had better leave it the **** alone. mine got 10.5 and yes i got it brand new. if the freakin computer relearns some drivability parameters after some bull**** change you made good luck getting it re flashed back to where it was....jmho. bobn

#40 ·
I work with a guy that has a 2012 F-150 with the Ecoboost and he is getting between 22 and 24 miles to the gallon on average (not towing or hauling anything). Or so he says anyway... I have not driven it or done the math so I could not swear to it. It is the big crew cab as well so you know that thing is heavy.

I changed the oil to the Ford recommended semi-synthetic. I also replaced the spark plugs in the middle of last week. I then checked the mileage again when I filled it up over the weekend. I got 16.1 mpg average on the whole tank. This was a mix of city and highway driving. My K&N air filter assembly is supposed to be here today via FedEx. I'll put it on tonight and see if that helps out any over the next week or so. I thought the 16.1 was pretty darn good. But I've been driving it slower than my grandma would. I really love the truck. It runs great.

#41 · (Edited)
OK.. K&N air filter assembly has been on for a whole tank of gas now. Doing a mix of city and highway driving I averaged 17.3 mpg. This of course was driving like a grandma, never going over 55 mph and not hauling or towing anything.

I did notice that the K&N indeed gave it more power. It is hard to tell how much though. What you really get out of it is more noise when you kick it with the very restrictive stock air cleaner assembly gone you can really hear it when the throttle blade opens up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.