460 Ford Forum banner

28x12.5x15 ET streets on 15x10 welds?

7K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  TorinoStyle2 
#1 ·
I am currently running 28x11.5x15 et streets on 15x10 draglites on my 70 torino. I have 5/8" clearance on fender side as well as spring side. The tire section width measures 12.25" on my 10" rim. Id like to run a 28x12.5 et street if possible. Mickey thompson says they have a 12.6" section width on a 10" rim. Just wonderi.g how acurate this is? Anyone ever measure one for real. At 12.6 ill still have about 1/4 to 3/8" all around, any wider and itll probably rub. Do ylu guys think itll fit. Is a 1/4 clearance too close on a street / strip car with calvert mono leaf and caltracs. Just wondering if my 10" rims are stretching the 11.5's too much and compromising the effectivness of the side wall. (M/T says the 11.5 et street only has a 11.1" section width on an 8" rim and its up to 12.25" when measured on my 10" rim.)
Thanks
mat

#3 ·
I have ran both the sizes you specified with 10" Welds. No problem with each. The sidewalls may rub slightly with the widened section with and turning corners, otherwise shouldn't be an issue. 12.6 does sound about accurate from what I remember measuring.

#5 ·
I used to run M/T Sportsman Pro's 12.50 x 28 x 15 on my 68 Torino. The 68 / 69 Torino has a smaller wheel area than the 70 and later models.
Needless to say, it rubbed big time on the fender lip, as well as rubbed on the leaf springs.
The springs were nothing special anyways, so I ground out some notches for tire clearance!!
Then rolled the upper wheel lip, and trimmed some metal here and there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.