460 Ford Forum banner

C4 questions

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  460Skywalker 
#1 ·
Im fixin to start building a c4 for my fairlane and was reading about some "thin" clutches for the forward clutch where can a fella get some also for the high clutch too I already have a c5 case to start with and ultra bell I've built many a c4 over the years but never much more than a stock rebuild this trans will be behind my 552

#4 ·
clutches

Please if you are going to drag race, use thick steels in high drum and borg-warner clutches. The oil needs cuts in the clutches in high hp/torque to apply fast enough or they will burn up, YOU will have alot of heat in high so thin steels like to warp. Been there done that. My stock clutches of 5 did better then the smooth 6 clutches and talked to too many race c4 places and they agreed what i have found out, high fluid pressure is a must on a stroker around 240, five in high has been proven to be best with stock clutches in pro-trans transmissions. I done alot of expermenting with mine. Its the torque and rotating weight that kill third, Its the week link when you put them on the edge.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.