460 Ford Forum banner

sorry for the basic question on full groove bearings

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  rowdy j 
#1 · (Edited)
i searched the forum and found a lil info, but nothing directly relating to the build.

when building my grand naitonal engine, i spoke with TA Performance in phoenix. they have full groove bearings. since the buick came with 1/2 grooves, i was going to switch.
then i got to thinking about the bb. when i put this together, i want it to last as long as it can. being a disabled vet, it hurts to pull/work on, so i only wanna do it once and hope it lasts until i die...

the truck is in planning stage, but its a general purpose 4x4, some mud, some river, some towing. prolly wont rev to 5500, more 5k or under.

would switching to full groove bearings keep the crank suspended better therefore extending its life?
would this lower oil pressure too much?
pro's-con's?

good idea or no?

#3 ·
X2 ... the half grooves would have more main bearing load carrying capability - the full grooves would send more oil to the rod bearings.
As said, for your combination, either will work fine. Neither is near any limit.

#4 · (Edited)
roger that, thanx for the reply.

one last delimah..
i have a d1ve block i just checked and it has been zero decked.
the flat tops i have come right up to the top. d0ve + this block=too much for a general purpose truck engine.
the truck has a d3 block in it now pulling a solid 20"+ of vacuum. no flittering or anything to indicate a valve or ring issue on a cylinder.
i am assuming its all stock.

i have a d0ve set of heads, d3 (in the truck) and e6 on the porch.

the d1ve has the stock bore (low miles). its fresh and ready to go (minus clean up). but i cant discount the 460 in the truck. it seems solid, just low comp, bad timing chain.
if i put the d0ve heads on the d3 block (10.322), from what i have read here and used a compression calc spread sheet, i should have right around 9:1. well, the e6 heads on my 429 with flat tops will give almost the exact compression with a smaller gasket.
the d3 engine is in the truck and running.
i think i might take the d0ve heads, clean em up, pull the intake and d3's and put the d0ves with a performer intake and a comp extreme 4x4 X4256H (1000-5000). 9:1 on a 460, with a performer should be torquey.

if the bottom end seems rock solid, would you guys try it on an everyday plain ol camping/river truck? no knocks, ticks, or anything. good sealing. from stock to 9:1 isnt THAT much of a jump. port the d0ves per scotty's web site, a good set of L&L headers and it should run great. who knows, maybe it has another 50k in it like this...
altho, 429 with flat tops give good squish into e6's, or d0ves with a dished piston sitting .040 in the hole? would building the 429 be better for the internal chamber dynamics or does it really matter? i think my compression calc came up with 9.03 on the 429 and 9.06 on the 460. negligable. only 30 more cubes, but A LOT better squish in the 429. would i need to worry about squish at 9:1?

i guess i could use the bottom end in the truck for now since its broke in, put the cam, zero chain, intake and heads on it and see how it does..

ideas?

#6 ·
alright. i read a lil on them yesterday. might do that when i assemble the 429.
i decided to go with the 460 thats running and throwing the d0ve heads on it with a new intake, cam, carb, headers and whatnot.
should run alright.
when i build the fun truck (ranger, whatever) with the bb, i will use the 3/4's. they look promising.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.