460 Ford Forum banner

replacing shift lever seal C6

15K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  stuarta 
#1 ·
After sitting for the winter I had some pretty bad leaking from my transmission.
I have purchased a new aluminum pan, but I also notice a drip on the shifter shaft on the side of the tranny.
While I am changing the pan I want to change the shaft seal as well and be done with it. I know I have to drop the valve body to remove the shift lever since I already did this before when I was modifying the shifter arm to work with my column shift.

Does the shaft seal press in from the outside of the housing or from the inside?
Does anyone have any tips for removing and installing the seal? Is it a tight fit?

#2 ·
If I remember correctly it installs from the outside. If ur doing the seal and uve done it before there might be a burr or rust on the shaft causing the seal to leak. I would pull the shift lever since u are already and use a emery cloth or something fine to clean the shaft up and make it smooth again. With internal valve body parts input it in a drill and run it real quick in emery cloth to get it cleaned up (not to much to cause clearance issues). Shaft seals should last a while.

#3 ·
The seal goes in from the outside and the pan must be removed to get at the nut on the inside end of the shift lever so it can be removed. You must also remove the small kickdown lever which can be removed from the outside. There is a small o ring on it and that alone could be the source of a small drip. That can be replaced quickly and easily without transmission disassembly. The kick down shaft/internal lever would stay in place with the valve body in place.

#5 ·
Which seal? If as you say you see a drop on the shaft it is likely the kickdown seal. Very easy to change from the outside as they are the most common to fail.
If it was the main case seal which does require the valvebody removed then you wouldn't have the drip, oil will run down the case .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.