460 Ford Forum banner

Engine Limiters?

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  White Lightning 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm struggling to find a good attachment point for an engine limiter on my 1993 Mustang on the drivers side. Obviously the block would be the best place to attach one but I don't see that happening. The headers pull in very close to the block so attaching a limiter to a motor mount bolt hole won't work. I thought about extending a fabricated bracket out to the front of the motor from the motor mount bolt holes but the oil filter will get in the way. Is it OK to attach a limiter to the front engine plate as close to the timing cover as possible? Or is that a bad plan?

I have a two good places on the block to attach one on the passenger side so I'm not worried about that side.

#4 ·
Personally I try not to attach anything to the heads, it just puts strain on the sealing ability of the head and intake. A limiter will work running fore or aft, and as straight in line with the crank centerline as you can get it in order to negate (or not cause) any flex in the plates. Of course a mirror image limiter side to side is desireable but not always possible. Think about how many G's the car will be experiencing on launch and design the limiters around that figure. Keep in mind that a limiter that isn't in direct line with the direction of force will either impart a lifting or lowering force on the engine and/or the attaching point. What about a remote filter location Chris?
Rob

#8 ·
The stock trans mount isn't a great place because of the leverage that would be applied to the tail shaft housing. Like Freak said, the stock motor mount pad locations are the ideal spot. Limiters don't have to be long, in fact shorter is stiffer and as I said before, in line with the engine and trans centerline is perfect. Attaching the limiters to either plate will just cause flexing between the capture points on the plate and the limiter attachment points and eventually work harden and break the plate material.
Rob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.