460 Ford Forum banner

Starter solenoid.

3K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Treeyasoon 
#1 ·
I know they are not rated for continuous duty, but will I be okay with a small load (3-5amps)? I'm thinking about running a separate solenoid as a switched leg. Any idea what's the max amount of amps I could get away with? If any?

#2 ·
It's not the amps across the switched legs that limit the duty cycle of a starter solenoid, it's the heat buildup in the pull-in coil that is the problem.

So, just energizing a starter solenoid for more than a few minutes would toast it, regardless of the load.

The good news is that there are 30-40 amp relays available for less than 10 bucks.

Greg

#3 ·
Solenoid's are limited by current on the contacts but its true the coil will burn out with continuous duty.

you can get continuous duty solenoid's if you choose or as stated you can just use a relay, make sure you know which is the N/O contacts and which is the N/C, and Coil. That could screw a guy up, as sometimes they're hard to read on certain relays. also make sure you grab the right coil voltage...12V i assume in your case.. sometimes they're 24V or 120V depending on where you get them.

#9 ·
Just go in and ask for a 30 amp Bosch relay. The are about 2 inches square and have 5 terminals on them. If you can find a counter person that will look, have them get you a 5 prong connector for it also, or you can just use ind spade connectors.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.