460 Ford Forum banner

Th400 swap issues

5K views 22 replies 7 participants last post by  droppedf100 
#1 ·
Bought a full JW bbf th400 set up. Trans, bell, flexplate, and the converter adapter shim with a PTC converter. Problem I'm having is the adapter fits flush into the crank and the converter fits flush into the adapter but it only has like .045 of movement. Seems like I need to grind the adapter down some to bring the converter closer to the flexplate and crank and the converted to have the proper amount of converter spacing. Anyone have a similar issue?

#6 ·
you won't be saying that when you make your first pass!!! I think I would like at least .125 to .150 clearance on mine, I'm doing the same swap but before I got the tranny installed I pulled the motor and made several changes to it, I'm going to start another thread soon on my build (engine) titled starting over.

#7 ·
I now have around .115 clearance. I was told with a heavy duty flexplate which I have you need anywhere from 1/16-3/16 which is .060 to .180. Hope all is well I just had to fix the motor from it knocking the thrust bearings out and ruining the crank. That was with a c6 and stock flexplate.

#9 · (Edited)
Top secret lol

With the JW wheel flexplate anyone no what way it should face? Seems backwards to me but the guy I bought it from says that's what JW told him. The starter is hanging up and the converter bolt heads were hitting the block plate. Pita. But at least it made it's maiden voyage with success. No to drive it 150 miles one way to ocean city md

#10 ·
Little update. I got the trans in and after some dumb issues everything works as it should. But it has not picked up anything et, 60ft or mph. I went from a stock rebuild c6 with a broader auto vb and a $450 PTC nitrous converted to a rollerized th400 reverse manual vb and a $950 PTC steel stator nitrous converter. So now I feel even worse about the swap :(

#15 ·
My truck is too heavy for a glide so I'm told and I want to keep a 3 speed.

I was ready to order a broader or CK performance built c6 and send my converter back for an upgrade to the better steel stator unit but was talked into this trans set up due to a friend of a friend needing cash bc of a non work related injury. Trust me I did not want to go with a gm part and selling this set up and going back to a c6 is not out of the question. I broke the welds on one of my leaf spring pads so I need to fix that and try again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.