460 Ford Forum banner

Help me make 1,000 hp N/A with P51 heads!

16K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  IDT-572 
#1 · (Edited)
Like many people in the BBF community, I've been inspired by Blake's build:) My turbo build is progressing so slowly than I'm considering taking my N/A combo to the next level in the mean time to hold me over.

My ho-hum 532 make 796 hp on the dyno, and it runs 139 mph in a 3,330-pound Fox Mustang in 3,000-foot density altitude. The combo is a pretty standard pump gas (93 octane) setup: P51s ported to 420 cfm (with 2.250 valves), ported Victor intake, an 1150 Dominator, and a 278/290-at-.050 solid roller.

Before I stumbled upon Blake's build, I was toying with the idea of bumping up the compression to 15:1, putting bigger 2.300 valves in it, installing a vacuum pump, and upping the cam duration 5-10 degrees if necessary. It seems hard to believe this would add anywhere close to 200 hp, but Blake's build proves otherwise. I'd like to know what the smart guys out there think:)

#2 ·
I forgot to add that I think the big wild card here is the intake. What blows my mind about Blake's motor is that he's making 1,000 hp with a Victor intake! I'd upgrade to a Trick Flow intake if it offers a big boost in airflow, but I'm running a 5-inch cowl hood as it is with the Victor and the Dominator barely clears without an air cleaner.

#3 ·
ported to 420 cfm (with 2.250 valves)

At what lift? what was the ehx flow? and what bore is your engine?

were these heads built for this engine?

#7 ·
At "only" 532 cubic inches, it can certainly be done, but it would be easier with more displacement.
With the A460 heads, you will have great airflow, and race porting is going to be required.
Try a solid roller cam with about 288/296 @ .050" with .750/.750" lift, on a 112 lobe.
You're going to need about 16.5:1 compression, and at least an 1150 CFM Dominator carb, and 2.125 primary headers into 4" inch collectors. And spin it 7700-8000.

#9 ·
Thanks for the kind words, but my build had a ton of labor and thought in it and not your normal build.

You would be money ahead to go with the A heads if your after 1000 hp.

#11 ·
Haven't ran it on the spray since the bash last year, it went 136 and some change there at a 5.41 spinning badly all the way to the stripe.

I have only been twice this year.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.