460 Ford Forum banner

10 second 460

6K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  torinojoe1971 
#1 ·
I have been wanting to build a 10 second 460 with my dad for sometime now, to put into my Cougar. I want it to be street-able, but I do not want to get into the turbo stage. I was thinking more along the lines of having a 150 wet shot, just so when I do take it to the track, It will actually move along. I have 3:55 gears right now. Basically, I just want to be able to take my girlfriend out on a date, but also be able to race the thing when I drive it to the track. I know this isn't the right forum for Cleveland's, but if that would be better, let me know. All I really want to know, is where to start, and how to go about it, with what parts and specifications I would need. Thanks for your time.

#2 ·
what year cougar? do you happen to know what it curb weight is?

what parts if any do you have to start with?

#3 ·
it is a 1973 mercury cougar with the stock 2v Cleveland. it weighs 3520 lbs. Parts are not really a problem, have all the basic 460 parts. I don't really want aluminum heads, as then it becomes a pricey build. But am willing to spend money on cam, pistons, ect. I'm just curious as to some specifications, and what you would do to build one. thanks so much!

#4 ·
You are asking for a lot?!?

You want a racecar that weighs 3500 pounds (is that with driver?), runs 10's, has street manners that won't irritate your girlfriend and is cheap.

You may have to compromise a bit on 2 or 3 of those things. How about a 250 shot with a custom-spec'd cam?

As far as doing it with a Cleveland, you will spend a lot more to make the power and not have the lower-end torque for street driving. I would stick with the big block.

#5 ·
It will not be cheap unless $5000 is cheap if you go with the 460 remember you will have to change trans the 351c trans will not fit the 460. The engine will be easy but the rest of the drive train will have to be up to the task also. The 351c can do it but like was said will cost more to build than the 460. I have built both and ran both the 460 will give you more torque to get you moving and more hp for less money but again you will have to change your transmission. Just some things to think about.

#7 ·
cougar

you should shoot for 11 or 12 sec car. That cougar is a pig I had a 72 with a 351cj the factory weight was 4200lbs. Those are heavy cars, how much money do you wan't to put in it? I think with the right heads cam and 150 shoot you should get in the low 12s mid to high 11s. you'll probably will wan't 411 gear what trans tires are you running?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.