460 Ford Forum banner

camshaft balancing

5K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  spoiler 
#1 ·
jon do you ever check camshafts to see if it is balanced?im building a boss 9,and my engine builder checked the cam,a comp solid roller from you,it was way out of balance called comp cams they acted like they dont even check it.so just so happened david vizard was the machine shop and we was talking about it,he was amazed that this was not checked,anyway he is sending us a kit to balance the cam,he said all nascar cams are balanced as anything he builds,not trying to say yall sold me a bad cam or anything,just curious if this is anything to worry about,hope to get my boss going soon to run in the nmra races coming up!!

#2 ·
A kit? I got into this with Mod motors, thought it sounded stupid, to close to center to do anything. So I spin up a mod cam and wow! It was out 58 grams on one end and 56 on the other. I didn't see a way to balance it, but know it is done. I would be interested in what a kit is. Its apparently done for cam harmonics and give a much more stabile valve train.

#3 ·
A kit? I got into this with Mod motors, thought it sounded stupid, to close to center to do anything. So I spin up a mod cam and wow! It was out 58 grams on one end and 56 on the other. I didn't see a way to balance it, but know it is done. I would be interested in what a kit is. Its apparently done for cam harmonics and give a much more stabile valve train.
That makes sense.
Rob

#4 ·
cam balancing

well you can call terry walters at 540-744-8605 he is doing my machine work they are top notch crew,that is were i met david vizard they are working on some 572 chevy junk,so they would be glad to help you out,they got 800hp out of a 620hp chevy crate motor i think vizard is helping them with this project,when i bought my eliminator block it was supposed to have been line bored at roush well they left a shaving under #3 main cap when they line bored it-billet caps i paid extra for,terry found roush's screw up and saved me thousands well i had to eat that eliminator,kaase who i bought the block from pretty much said i was on my own that they would look in to it but wtf. if you never heard of david vizard he has wrote many books on building horsepower he is one of the best engine builders in the world,like kaase,and walters

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.