460 Ford Forum banner

501 BBF Cam Degreeing

6K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Lem Evans 
#1 ·
Need some thoughts on cam degreeing. Have a 501 with p-51 heads, (previous owner had steel cj's), in a 3000 lb. car with transbrake and 14X32's. Runs 9.15 to 9.20's depending on track surface. Has a 10 year old or better solid roller cam, previous owner of short block had no cam card but was told it was 286@50, 750 lift. Seems to be about right from my checking. It's in straight up at 103. Need the cam guys thoughts on retarding this thing to about 108 or 110 in this application.

#3 ·
cam degreeig

Are you sure about that 103 degrees ? If so it way advanced and you'd most likely do well to back it off. From my experience small block cams are anywhere from 106-112 and BB generally 108-114. I hadn't done this myself cause I've always had a cam card ( maybe you can shed some light on this Jon ) , but to degree the cam to coincide with the max cylinder pressure as the cam timing will have a great affect on it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.