460 Ford Forum banner

Building a big block for my '67 F100

3K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  itsabullitt 
#1 ·
I have a 429 and a 460. The 460 has been sitting outside uncovered for years, so will probably stick with the 429. If the 460 crank is good, I'll more than likely just put that crank in the 429 as I've heard that's basically the only difference. (Is this true?) I have no information on either motor other than they have D3VE heads and 4 barrel intakes. My goal is to convert my F100 to a tow rig for hauling my Mustang and other pickup across country for racing/wheeling events. But I also want a fun hot rod on the street. So far I just have the motor, and am looking to you for opinions on how to build a motor for a go-fast tow rig. This is my first BBF. I plan on making this a ~3 year project with a budget of around $10,000 for everything including painless wiring, aftermarket A/C and a FAST fuel injection setup. If my math is right, after those items and all the other little stuff I find, I'll have about $5,000 I can dedicate to the motor. If it costs more than that, then it does and it'll just take a little longer to complete. I've looked at the SCAT stroker cranks, aftermarket heads, intakes, cams, etc. and I just don't know where to start. I don't want a race motor, and I don't want a tractor either. I want a little bit of both if that's possible.

What are your thoughts? Am I close on budget, and what heads, intake, cam should I be looking for? Go stroker, or stock stroke?

Thanks in advance.

See less See more
#2 ·
well it sounds your basically using it for the same use i am with my 84 f150 2wd. so far my build project is like this : stock 1978 460 bottom end. d0ve heads refurbished with new springs valves and exhaust side ported. edelbrock performer rpm dome, holly 750 double pumper. hedman long tubes. 1970 timing set. just need to decide on a cam. looking for around 375-400 horse.

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I'm looking for a little more power than that. While I don't have my heart set on a specific hp number, I want "big block power" if that makes sense. I have had several small blocks over the years, and my other pickup wears a bowtie with a small block and makes right sround 400hp at the flywheel. I consider it a very basic setup with a .030 over 350, vortec heads with a little work, 268 cam, hypereutectic pistons, and performer rpm air gap intake. With a 460" big block I would think the hp number should be around the 500 mark, with tq closer to 600. Again, this is my very first BBF, so if I'm way off base on acheiving these kind of numbers with the budget I've listed, let me know. Steer me in the right direction. I want a good streetable motor that has plenty of grunt for pulling, but still has a hot rod feel and sound to it. I really love a lopey idle, so I guess I should keep that in mind with the cam selection.

#4 ·
#5 ·
My goal is to convert my F100 to a tow rig for hauling my Mustang and other pickup across country for racing/wheeling events. But I also want a fun hot rod on the street. .
Gas mileage will kill you on cross county towing trips. With an OD trans you "might" get 10 mpg while towing - but that's if you build it for economy. The 450HP+ engine you're talking about will probably get you 6 mpg towing.

#6 · (Edited)
Depending on the condition of the motor you are going to need more money than $5k to grab the numbers you want especially if you go with a stroker kit.
As was said before, that will be a 10mpg motor at best pulling a trailer, that's before you hit the mountains. I like the idea though.

#7 ·
Good points on the mpg. My brother has a '99 F250 superduty with a 7.3 PSD. We've been using it to take my car to Texas and Indiana for Bullitt Shootouts and National events. For the wheeling trips they're only about 2.5 hours away in Oklahoma, so not too terrible for 10mpg. For the longer trips, we may just use his diesel for the mpg, but I'd like to use my own truck when I can. If $5K won't do it, then it may just take me longer to build it. From what I'm seeing, the stroker kits are around $2K, and I'm not even sure I want to go that route.

What would you guys recommend for heads, cam, intake, to get the numbers I'm looking for? I'd be rebuilding the motor anyway, so it'll be getting new pistons, bearings, etc. If the 460 crank is good, it'll probably go in rather than the stroker as I'm concerned there may be some issues with cooling and longevity on a large displacement engine. Our maximum octane for pump gas is 91, so I also want to make sure the compression isn't crazy.

#11 ·
I think my cost me right around $4500 and it was just for parts and machining. I would like to build another one but slightly different but don't have anything to put it in.lol

D

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#12 ·
So I've been doing some more reading on the site and found Cars by Carl's website. I've read several of Carl's posts, and am really thinking about going for either a short block or crate engine. By the time I build mine, have all the machine work done, etc. I'll have about as much money as I'd have in a crate engine that was assembled by a professional with the "good stuff" parts. Would the street fighter set up do what I'm wanting the truck to do?

http://www.carsbycarl.com/Crate_Engines.html

#13 ·
Go with the Stroker now - or you'll regret it in a couple of years. You will have long forgotten about the extra $500 but not the increased TQ/HP.

#14 ·
Thanks for the reply. The extra money for the stroker wasn't really an issue. I was just comparing the crate engines, and it seemed strange the smaller displacement, stock stroke street fighter was showing better numbers than the stroker options. The street brawler with the stroker offers less hp, but more tq, and at a lower rpm. This may be a better option for me as I would prefer the 50 extra tq and wouldn't mind losing the 25 or more hp considering it's still giving me 550+hp and over 600 ft/lb. It's only about $2K over my original budget, but considering It will be a drop in, ready to go engine, I may still come out ahead. With the FAST EFI I'll still end up with about $10K in it total. The A/C may have to wait.

#18 ·
I have a similar build I have a 78 ford f150 2wd and I am building it to around 500 to 575 hp and I have all the new parts right now ready to install and you need to look at around 7500 to 8000 to be realistic to reach 500 hp I have the scat crank and probe flat top pistons iske cam etc and I have not totaled my cost up yet but I know I am over 6000 just sitting in my closet right now and I have not even bought the heads or carb yet. I do have d3s that have been ported just recently but decided not to use them Trick Flow Instead for me

#20 ·
Thanks again for the replies. I'm thinking a stroker may offer the best low end torque for my towing needs, but I still want decent power up top too. I'm really leaning toward just having a crate engine built. This way I know I have the right head/cam/intake combo from the get go and won't have to worry about changing parts down the road. I was originally thinking a $5000 budget for parts, but even if that was possible, it's worth it to me to have the complete motor for the extra couple grand. By the time I have the machine work done, and all the extra time for assembly I'm coming out even, or maybe a little ahead by going crate motor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.