460 Ford Forum banner

48 Ford truck

12K views 32 replies 12 participants last post by  Gicknordon 
#1 ·
This is a 48 ford truck ive been working on for a little over a year now. Mustang 2 front suspension, triangulated four link rear suspension, explorer 8.8 4.10 limited slip, t56 six speed, 429.

This is my first full build but im gonna try to do everything except the engine machine work myself. Im proud of how much i have accomplished in the time ive had the truck, and how much ive learned. The goal is to get this done before i graduate college and iver got just about 2.5 years left for that goal. I think im on track for that right now. I have the full build thread and photobucket album in my sig but ill try and keep this updated as well.

See less See more
#2 ·
Very, Very cool!

Great choice for a project. (though the cabs are pretty cramped IMHO)

I really like your cover for the transmission (tunnel?) It looks as if you are going to make the interior fairly stock appearing?

Anyways, it will be a fun ride!

#3 ·
Yeah im trying to keep the interior pretty stock. Its made my life harder with the shifter and bench seat, but its the look iim going for. Im trying to go for a stock look for the truck, other than being lowered.

#5 ·
Good project. I've got two of the Ford F1's under my belt. They are fun to drive. One thing I'll share with you. The best front seat I ever had in my 48 F1 was the third seat out of a Dodge mini van. Left a few inches to close the doors and pretty comfortable too. Mine just bolted right up to the floor no problemo.good luck with it.

#6 ·
Cool project! I'm curious how the T56 would hold up to towing. I know they're super tough transmissions for high hp Mustang/Camaro applications, and they were even put in Vipers. I've got a '67 F100 I'd really like to put a manual in behind a 460, and am wondering if anyone knows if the T56 would hold up to towing duty? The dual overdrive is nice, and I planned on getting one from www.promotionpowertrain.com with the lower first gear and taller overdrives. Would the trans hold up to towing a vehicle in 5th gear, using 6th for empty cruising.

#10 ·
Its good that you are still at it.

Thanks for the updates!

#14 ·
Thought id update this thread. After a year, the cab is finally done and in primer. Really happy about that. The plan was to get the motor done over the summer, but the finances weren't there, so that will have to wait until next summer. In the mean time, im going to work on stuff so that when the motor is done, the truck will move under its own power. Things like fuel lines, brake lines, exhaust, steering. Ill be glad to take a brake from rust work.

#16 ·
This is a great build, well done. I had a chance to pick up a 50 for $800 but I passed on it and do regret it as another opportunity like that hasn't come along again.

I will be watching your build as I love trucks.

D

#19 ·
Thanks for the kind words guys! Im having a ton of fun doing this and learning a lot. I got the steering linkage buttoned up and the brake system pretty much done as well. Have to figure out what the nest step will be though. Money is tight right now so i might pull a fender out and start doing some more rust work (doesn't cost any money) or i might work on the radiator mount as it need to be moved froward.

#21 ·
Thought I would update this thread.

Not a whole lot of progress since the last update. Did a lot of body work on the lower fenders and doors. I did get the floor and firewall painted.

I got the motor out and the engine builder is going to pick it up tomorrow! I am really excited about that. Carl will be hearing from me soon for some engine parts!

#22 ·
Just graduated from college and got a job with Ford, so the truck will have to go on hold for a bit until I can get established out in Michigan. I have gotten a lot done since the last update though. Just got the motor in and fired up this week. Wish I had like another week or two to get a drive shaft, and I could actually drive this thing out of the garage, but I move on friday.

http://vid1137.photobucket.com/albums/n516/Nick_Gordon/49 ford/20160531_171820_zps7ariumcn.mp4

#23 ·
Man, loving this build. Very impressive fab skills! I struggle with body work so I respect ppl that have the patience to do it right.
Also, congrats on the degree and new job with Ford! I applied for a co-op with them when I was in college but it didn't work out. What will you be doing there? Are you working in Dearborn proper?

#24 ·
Thanks! This project was my first try at sheet metal work, so I have learned a lot along the way. I'm going to be a manufacturing engineer at the Wayne Michigan plant. I'm in a rotation program though, so I don't know where I will land yet at the end of it.

#27 ·
Nice build love these trucks. I had an opportunity to pick up a 1949 about 7 years back for $800 and I passed it up and regret it now. Oh well live and learn I enjoy my 64 and am building a 57 Mercury now.

Your engine detail is nice like the valve covers!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#29 ·
Thanks! Just moved to Michigan in June, so progress has been slow. My dad got a driveshaft made for me, and I did get it going under its own power last weekend. I'm thinking I might just put it together as is and drive it a while because if I wait to get the paint done, I think it will be a few years until I could actually drive it.

https://www.facebook.com/gicknordon/videos/vb.1495267042/10206847966226444/?type=3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/gicknordon/videos/vb.1495267042/10206847977106716/?type=3&theater

#30 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.