460 Ford Forum banner

My Mach 1 552 (and a couple pics of my truck)

53K views 196 replies 25 participants last post by  mjlangley 
#1 · (Edited)
My Mach 1 552, Ranchero 460, (and a couple pics of my truck)

Here are some pics of my 1972 Mach 1 and the 552 I'm building for it. I've owned the car since I was 12, and the 351 Cleveland I built as my high school senior project finally lunched a valve on the way back to my 10 year class reunion 2 years ago. So, I decided to just go with big cubes and not turn them so hard, instead of the hi-strung small block it used to be. Car ran 11.80s on a 150 horse Sniper system previously, and all I'm hoping for is to beat that N/A with this engine, but still be able to drive it about 5000 miles a year. My goals are hopefully to be about 600 hp/600 ft.-lbs. on 91 octane. The block and heads are 1969 429 parts that I picked up for $150, bored, line honed, decked and milled. Camshaft is a custom grind hydraulic Voodoo based from Scotty at RHP, as are the Ferrea 2.25 In./ 1.76 Ex. valves, and the DOVE heads are ported off his site. It has Lunati dual springs, retainers, and locks, Trick Flow push rods, ARP head studs and rocker studs, Crane Energizer roller rockers, Comp guideplates, and Jomar girdles. Valve covers are Trick Flow cast. The stroker kit is from Mark O'Neal at CHP, and is a SCAT cast crank with Probe I-beams and dished pistons. Water pump is Edelbrock aluminum, headers are Crites 2 inch, 3 inch Magnaflows with dumps, Torker II intake (because I love my hood too much:D) and a Holley 850 double pumper (I'll probably go with a Dominator later on). I have a March serpentine system for it and a Be Cool radiator. Trans is a C6 with a TCI Super Streetfighter kit that is getting built right now. Rear is 3.91 gears, but I'll switch out to 3.00 or 3.25 after I get a quarter mile time with the deep ones. Paint is 2001 Honda (I'm sorry) green pearl that we doubled the pearl content in, with the stock Argent color. All stripes and graphics are painted, except the 351 RAM AIR is still a decal, because I knew this day would come (will say 552 RAM AIR when done). Only body mod is where the roof is welded to the lower body, we smoothed, because even new from the factory you could see the seam if you looked close enough. The body work and paint took just over 2 years. Wheels are Cragar 15x8s and 14x7s with the S/S spinners because I still wanted it to look period correct. Interior is white with gray inserts, and stock Mach 1/Deluxe with the gauge package. Only deviation from stock inside is an Alpine cd player and two 6x9s in the rear deck. I can go on and on, but you get the point. I've had this car for damn near 2/3 of my life (I'll be 32 next month-the goal to get the car going again is my birthday), and it's been with me for more happiness and bad times than I can count. Hopefully I haven't bored anyone, and thanks to everyone on here for their help and support. Special thanks to Scotty and Mark O'neal, and of course my old man who helped me when I was just a kid learning to wrench. Enjoy, and more pics to come later.

Attachments

See less See more
#99 ·
Yep, killing some torque might in this case be a good thing. :)

I wish that i really could like winter. But, i unfortunately haven't developed a taste for the snow/cold etc. that accompanies it.

But, the winter provides the time for updates on cars.

#101 ·
The guy that posted it on Facebook has his security settings set on "ridiculous", so none of my friends on there can see it, either. I'm trying to get it fixed to share with everybody, or get it put on Youtube. It's frustrating, because it's a great video.

Lucas

#103 ·
New project

Not a Ford, but I love these. Got something else to keep me occupied for a bit now....1978 Cutlass, 45,000 mile 1 owner car, runs and drives like new. Going to build this as a daily driver and put some mild suspension stuff in it and about a 300 hp 350 Olds or Buick (no Chevy getting swapped into anything that ain't a Chevy for me) so my friends have something to race with me :)

Lucas

Attachments

#105 ·
Naaaaah, no Frankensteining this one....I LOVE Buicks and Oldsmobiles. Had almost as many of them as Mustangs, and I've had 7 of those. My 71 Delta 88 Custom is my favorite car other than my Mach 1. It's got the same 455 as the W-30 442, and less than 400 were made that way. Power bench seat, cruise, tilt, etc., and I've blown the doors off a few 390 Galaxies, 5.0 Mustangs, and a 440 Road Runner with it....anyway, didn't figure it'd get too much positive feedback here haha, but just thought I'd share what I'm messing with in my free time while my garage is still too cold to climb around on the floor and fab the Mach's subframe connectors. No worries and no hard feelings on the GM hatred haha :) I almost bought an El Camino once, but then I pictured myself behind the wheel, and knew I couldn't do it. My 64 Chevy big back window and any 67-72 Chevy shortbox, on the other hand, I have no issues with....Just my taste, and it's quite varied.....

Attachments

#106 ·
Hooray! On the way home the other night, the truck decided to play like a Dodge and puke the transmission....Just what I wanted for Christmas!:rolleyes:....Pump seal blew out for the second time in 20,000 miles, only I didn't catch it this time and it left me stranded at a stop sign for 2 hours in the -6 degree weather while I waited for a buddy to get there with some Mercon. It's amazing how many people will come up behind you with your flashers going and just sit there waiting for you to go. One guy sat behind me for 5 minutes before I finally got out and told him he had to go around. Mind you, this is in a small town of about 1000 people and sitting at a stop sign. Getting in and out of the truck let all the heat out, and needless to say, I was quite cold. Got it home after buying more Mercon-it leaked 25 quarts in just under 7 miles, got in at 2 a.m. just so I could go to bed and go to work the next day. Needless to say, just a seal is not going to fix it this time. Time for a rebuild, but going to wait until after New Year day before I do anything......

#108 ·
I LOVE this Mustang. I had a buddy in high school that had one just like it. Those were the days...

Keep us posted on the header progress. That was rotten luck for sure. And very interesting that you are going the road racing route. Very cool indeed with that body style. I'm sure it is super cool taking that thing to the road racing events. I bet you are the only one there with that style Mustang.

I like the Olds as well. I used to have a 1974 Cutlass Supreme with the old 350 Rocket. That thing would burn that one skinny tire off from here to Texas.

#109 ·
Thanks for the compliments, Chris. I am the only one running a Mustang older than a Fox at most races, except at one event there was a real fully restored GT500KR. Was anxious to see that one go, but the guy just idled it, got lost on the course 3 or so times, and when they suggested he have someone ride with him just to help him navigate for a lap, he got pissed and drove off....Everything is going to be on hold on the Mustang until after I get the truck's transmission done and paid for :(. Priorities suck sometimes as I'm sure we all know, but there isn't anything actually "wrong" with the Mach 1 the way it is....Just would like some updates to the rolling stock and suspension, and to get the chassis tied together better as I'm afraid I'm going to start twisting things if it ever hooks up haha.....Winter here in the mountains sometimes requires more than a G-body can accomplish, so the truck is top priority after I get back from visiting family in Alaska for Christmas.....Loving your Mustang as well. I've had a few 87-93s, and about every 3 years I get the itch to have another one. Last one I had (90 LX 306 roadrace type driver) committed suicide by moose, and my face took the brunt of the damage, but that's another story......

#110 ·
The thing I love about my family is, at Christmas time, I don't get socks and underwear, I get Mustang parts :)....New grille emblem, new correct Mach 1 gas cap to replace the cracked 69 standard one that's been on the car since 1996, and LED sequential blinker taillight assemblies from my brothers. So blessed to have a good family. Got the cap and emblem installed New Year day, was 55 degrees here and sunny so pulled her out of the garage and washed it....It usually doesn't come out of hibernation until April, but got a really weak winter going on, which is ok haha.

Lucas

Attachments

#112 ·
Hahaha....yeah, it's pretty nice having a "car guy" family....I got my little brother new fender emblems for his 68 Satellite, we got my Dad a 2 1/2" exhaust system for his 70 El Camino, and my older brother a Summit gift card so he can get stuff for his Challenger. My plate was inspired by one of my favorite old Metallica songs, just kinda "fit" the car :D....

Lucas

#113 ·
New parts gathering for the swap to a GM TH2004R in the Mach 1. Even though I haven't got the truck done yet, it seems the stuff I "want" always comes along at prices too good to pass up, especially when there's more important things I "need" to do :rolleyes:. Scored a B&M Magnum Pro Grip and the BBF/GM trans swap kit for less than half of new (actually about 1/4 of new on the swap kit). Can't wait to get an overdrive put in, and I'm buying one of my little brother's "back-up" trannies from his Grand National that's rated to 850 hp, so should be plenty stout. Hopefully this will get the Mustang into the teens in the mpg department with a lock-up converter, and a big weight loss as a bonus. It's too much fun to gear it up from the 3.90s like I was planning on doing, and this should help it remain good at the strip and a better road car, too, as I'm driving the wheels off it in the summertime.

Attachments

#114 ·
Wow....I haven't posted in a while. Got the interior almost done (again), been piling the miles on the car, and racing here and there....will post the new interior pics when I can. Rear tires lasted almost 3200 miles and need to be replaced. The novelty of burning the tires off while driving down the road hasn't worn off like I'd hoped it would :D. Have decided against going with the big wheels and want to keep it classic, so I'll be getting some new 275/60s here shortly haha.

Lucas

#117 ·
Thanks for the compliments.....Yeah been kind of tough to get on the old 460Ford site now that I'm running the local Chevy/Cadillac service department haha....Haven't gotten anywhere with the tranny swap, as my little brother will be down visiting from Alaska this fall and is going to bring me my new trans out of his Grand National then. Check out customblackbird's post down in the driveline section. He did a really good job showing what needs to be done. ATI, TCI, and a few others make kits....Got the sequential blinkers done over this past weekend. Super cool and really happy with the kit, only about an hour and a half to install. This weekend I'm going to put the new carpet and Magnum Pro-grip in, unless extra curricular activities render me useless :rolleyes:.

#118 ·
Oh, and I got the headers all fabbed, obviously. Got them a lot closer to the crossmember than Crites had them, so about an extra inch or two of ground clearance now, which is a huge difference. Stronger tubing, to boot. Just bought a build your own 2" primary kit from Jegs and went from there. A two day process but happy with the results, for sure....
Lucas

#119 ·
Been a while since I updated. Here's a few pics (mostly old) of some updates. New carpet and shifter back in July, header fab pics, and the rotors I installed this weekend to help slow it down a little better than the stockers. Subframe connectors on their way, and I scored some new Corvette takeoff tires, so saving up for the big wheels (again) :rolleyes:

Lucas

Attachments

#120 ·
Got the new trans in the truck a while ago.....here's a couple pics after I took it up shooting in the mountains. Forgot to mention I blew the low stall TCI torque converter up in the Mach 1 (which I was expecting), so I've got a new one from Performance Automatic waiting for me to put it in, as well. Never ending projects......

Lucas

Attachments

#122 ·
Sub-frame connectors finally showed up. Been on back order from Mustangs Unlimited since December. They're made by a company called SMR, and I can't say I'm really impressed with the way they look. They were supposed to be specific for the 71-73 Mustang fastback and coupe, but the instructions list them for 65-73 Mustangs, and have directions for all body styles. Hopefully they fit ok.

Attachments

#123 ·
Got the rear disc brake kit delivered today. Went with a Right Stuff Detailing kit, based on reading reviews and the fact that it was only $265 delivered from Jegs. Good looking stuff. Wheels and tires are supposed to be here by the 10th......Went with some chrome Ridler 695s in 18x8 and 18x9.5 with Nitto 555s in 245/45 and 275/40 sizes. Trans is getting rebuilt and should be done by end of next week. Getting excited again :D

Lucas

Attachments

#124 ·
Ive been eyeballing those Jegs rear disc kits. Be interested how well it works for you. What front brakes you using, I am going with Willwood up front, but not wanting to spend the coin on the rears.