460 Ford Forum banner

Strut 'Yur Stuff!

5K views 36 replies 12 participants last post by  Glenn M. 
#1 · (Edited)
OK gang, It was pointed out to me by a member that we might have some latent talent lurking about on here in the form of musical ability :D. I was prompted to ask and told that I just might be surprised at just how many of us are musicians. So.....here's your chance at 5 minutes of fame!
Step right up...
Don't be shy!...
Speak right up and tell us why!

I'll start it all off and fess up first....I've played in various Rock bands and Country Rock bands for 40+ years. I do lead and backing vocals, play a ham fisted, power cord-over-driven/dirty sounding Gibson Les Paul/Marshall half stack (my favorite of the 5 that I own) that's turned up to 13 and the knob is torn off and I write some pretty good lyrics (if I do say so myself lol). The last band that I belonged to was a Hard Rock flavored endeavor called "Crush!907" here in Anchorage. I'm currently on hiatus and pursuing other interests.
Now.....what say YOU??
Rob

#2 ·
Sounds great man! I must confess however, I don't/can't play or pick sh!t. Well that is except for playing the radio and picking my snot harbor. Ha ha. Maybe I'm a GD comedian and don't even know it.
How long have you been playing? Guess if there is any other musical talent on this forum they are to chickensh!t to admit it. Good to hear someone on this forum has a life other than talking the same ole hi-po crap that's been talked to death time and time again! I wish you luck and hope to hear your tunes on MTV someday!!!

#3 · (Edited)
Lolol I've been playing since I was 12.....and I doubt you'll hear any of my stuff on any public forum....unless it's been stolen! I'm what you call a 'semi professional' ....meaning I get paid every once in a while....everybody in the band has day jobs and families....so it's more of a hobby than a profession.

'Cmon Ppl...I know of at least one other person....I've got some of his music (and it's damn good too!)
Rob

#12 ·
Drummer here...........bought a new set of Slingerland's in 1969, special ordered without bottom heads, purple sparkle, double bass, SpeedKing pedals. Went electronic a coupla years ago. The stage presence is crappy, but they sound bitchin. Played everything from country to heavy metal, soul and funk. Playing a jam-session at our local Eagles club tomorrow nite. Always a good time.

#13 ·
VERY nice kit! I tried the digital route for my guitar work a few years ago too. Like you say, versital but far too complicated for live stage work. It would have been good for studio work though. I like my Marshal set up, good stage presence and more than enough volume for the halls I play without a PA hook up...... in fact my band members never let me turn it up past 1 1/2 for rehersals lolol. A few stomp boxes for effects and away we go ;)
Rob

#14 ·
I played the cello, piano, and washtub bass as a kid, does that count?

Planning to teach myself how to play the ukelele and/or 4-string banjo here when I get some time, maybe this fall.

#21 ·
You never know I may have to try something after all. It sure looks like you have a bunch of fun doing it!

....man. That was some hair! I'm currently sporting a 1/4 inch buzz cut. I'm a cheap bastard and too impatient to go get it done. I have a cheap set of Walmart sheep shears. I do my own. Saves more money for Mustang parts that way too.

#32 ·
Well I'm 27 and I have played guitar for three years now. I wish I would have started a long time ago but I never had the patience as a kid. I'm not in a band but I do like jamming with my friends. We have my basement all set up with amps and a drum set which is my roommates. Hes been playing for 15 years tho. I suck compared to him lol. I have two electrics and one acoustic. First one is a 2010 Fender Stratocaster mexican, its a metallic orange flake guitar with a maple neck. The second is a 2012 Gibson Les Paul standard pro blue sunburst. And my acoustic is acoustic/electric fender. Like electric way more than acoustic though. Kind of learning to play the drums too. Oh and a dabble in playing my ukulele. Lol

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Attachments

#33 ·
We have a looser!!!!

My dad couldn't read a lick of music but give him 5 minutes with any instrument and he would be playing something!!!

I didn't inherit that but I did play the organ and a little piano and like my father... all by ear.

My son, on the other hand, started playing guitar 4 years ago and is a natural!!! My daughter plays clarinet.....

But here in Hicksville, I'm the King of Karaoke!!! hahaha I have 3 set ups with the upstairs unit pushing 11,000 watts!! YES, you read that right, lol Halfway up I blow the house breaker! But I'm no rocker. I like the "tear in your beer" sh*t all the way!!! Put two of my Yamaha's out back and you can hear it crystal clear for a country mile :D Neighbors LOVE me!!!! :eek:

So.... not much musical instrument talent and I never played in or sang in a band..... I think I get the award for pushing the LOWEST limits on this post! hahaha

But it's all good!

#34 · (Edited)
I have two records released (don't ask), have gigged before thousands, currently do session work here and there in Los Angeles alongside veteran session players who have hundreds of album credits to their name, gold & platinum records, # 1 hits, with Academy Award nominated and Grammy winning producers and engineers, etc. I have worked in major recording studios such as Capitol Records, etc. My highlight would have to be Geoff Emerick (engineer for the Beatles, Robin Trower, etc, etc, etc) mixing a song to which I contributed. I have a pre-production recording studio running though my place. My personal rehearsal space (separate from my recording studio) consists of 765 square feet with a 28 foot ceiling and incorporates a lounge and a fully-stocked bar.

#36 ·
Lol. I was waiting for you to chime in Paul ;). Kids, don't let Him be so modest. I've heard both the albums and they are incredible!
I sold my DPS studio set up last year, I just don't have the time any more with all the things that I'm involved with recently, but I do miss the recording and mixing sessions. It's the 'relax' time that's countered by the 'adrenalin' times of stage work. Man I miss it! lol
Rob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.