460 Ford Forum banner

Dizzy won't drop

4K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  429CV23 
#1 ·
Alright, I've exhausted my known ways to try to stab the dizzy. Only one option left that I know of, but I'm trying to stay away from the 3lb sledge.
It will not drop any further than pictured. I've used some grease to hold the oil pump shaft, it is sitting dead center. I've tried turning the crank by hand while applying pressure to the top of the dizzy, no dice. I've tried lightly slamming it into place, no go. I'm getting frazzled enough to start reaching for the sledge.
The cam gear is engaging and spinning the dizzy as I turn it over by hand.
ARP shaft, Prestolite marine dizzy. Dizzy came out of this block when she was disassembled.
Any other methods to try?

See less See more
#2 ·
I have this happen a lot too. Usually I will need to pull the distributor out and turn the oil pump shaft a couple of degrees (like 30 degrees) with a small socket taped to an extension, then it will drop in.
The pump drive shaft is a six-sided hex so it can be off by 60 degrees (so turning it a "half flat" will usually do the job).

#3 · (Edited)
Maybe some others can chime in and say why this actually happens but I have gone through this issue as well. I tried dropping in my MSD and exactly what you are talking about happened. For me, I turned the crankshaft a little with a breaker bar and it slide right in from where you had yours in the photo. Just have to mate the gears on the cam/dizzy just the right way.

#5 ·
don't move the crank , it will mess you up re timing etc ,I have looked into this , just tape a socket to a bar and move the oil pump a few degrees, a very slight tap with a mallet will help also - john

#9 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the advice guys!
I did turn the pump shaft to several positions with a primer tool, but still no-go.
I ended up pulling the rotor and leaning on the dizzy while turning the crank. It finally dropped in after about 1 1/4 turn.

Spent the rest of the day fighting with the starter mounting plate. Supplier needs to re-evaluate their CAD design. The starter mounts too low and the gear binds on the flexplate. Tomorrow I'll have to slot the holes a bit to raise the mounting plate for a better mesh. :mad:

#16 ·
Thanks, just wish there was another guinea pig so my kit would be plug 'n' chug. ;)
Overall it is a very complete, high quality kit. The original 3-pt mounts would not have handled the extra ponies very well, or very long, so it was worth the investment.

#15 ·
This is the only type of starter that will work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.