460 Ford Forum banner

Your expertise is needed....

4K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  fordsrgrt 
#1 ·
Hey guys... I have my lower assembly all buttoned up..(545 all forged Probe internals Street-Fighter kit) I have a Lunati Voodoo hyd. flat tappet (61605) .582/.600 and all matching valve train. I have a Victor intake ported out and took my heads to have them matched up. My local race shop says I won't be doing nothing but wasting money to have it done. (hence, i have already had a 3 angle valve job, bigger valves 2.20int. and 1.76ext and bowl clean up done with guide plates added etc. I thought my heads would be the sh!t... But my confidence was hurt when he told me I needed to purchase Aluminum heads. Question is? Should I take his advise or get a second opinion. Ditch my heads? Sell them and re-think my cam and valve-train? and go with a solid cam and aluminum heads. All I want is a good reliable (Hella-Street) car. C6 full manual is already built! 8.8 rear with 4.10's.. Just thought my worked D3VE heads would have done the job. I'm so depressed.

#2 ·
It really depends on how much power you want to have. Your are running a decent sized cam and your valves are decent sized. Depending on your compression ratio and a few other things, you won't be under powered by any means. As close as you are, I would say to put it together and if you want to upgrade later, then you can.

#4 ·
It sounds like the parts you have will make 550-600 HP. Have you driven 600 HP?
It could be perfect for the car. Any more may just blow the tires off at any speed on the street. Don't be dissapointed just because of someone's opinion. Even the iron heads can be bad ***. Good luck, Kaase

#5 ·
I run the d3's in my 89 mustang with 545Ci, ported, 10.5 compression, 950hp carb ,Victor 460intake, C6, It is a blast to drive on the street! I love it I could not keep the tires from spinning at 60 mph when I stepped on it. Nothing wrong with the d3's IMO there cheap and they work

#6 ·
i have a similar setup only a 521 with the same cam and well ported c9's by Scotty with a stealth intake and 950hp in a 74 f250 4x4 with 38's and 4.10's and its brings a big old grin to me when i hit the go pedal and my truck weighs about 5400,its also used as a mud bogger and does very well for its size,in a car like yours you'll be happy if the heads are prepped properly by someone who knows what hes doing

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.