460 Ford Forum banner

My 1994 Mustang Index racing build

56K views 238 replies 34 participants last post by  bigblok86ranger 
#1 ·
Posting a new thread with better pics...

This is getting the 528 out of my truck with some updates to the engine. Gonna be a small tire stock suspension deal hoping to get in the 8.60 index in GDRA and Byron Dragways Midwest Index Shootout.

Humble beginnings

See less See more
#4 ·
Hood trimmed and mocked up for hood scoop.

Stock dash gutted completely with switch panel and oil pressure and water temp gauges installed in the shell of the instrument cluster.

Also replaced factory column with something lighter (quick release installed)

#9 ·
And the magic piece to the stock suspension puzzle (LOL) great looking piece with adjustable upper and lower control arm brackets and double adjustable upper and lower control arms.

#14 ·
Thank you! Still have a bunch to do, I muffed up some threads on a couple spark plugs that need to get fixed and broke an ear off one of the exhaust ports that needs to be welded so the heads are going to the machine shop next weekend to get that done and the intake is gonna get ported this go around and need to install the new pan on my engine (using a mock up block to get the engine set up in the car).

I still need to get a new front pump for the trans and a new trans brake valvebody, a center section and spool and pay for the gears and pinion yoke and get that set up, driveshaft. Then I need windows plumb brakelines install a seat and ignition box, buy and plumb a fuel system. Window net and parachute. Probably be end of August early September before will be able to start testing the car.

I am thinking probably get the suspension lined out and the car running good then put it up for the winter and get after it next year full season.

#15 ·
LOOKS THE SAME AS WHEN I WAS THERE,

30 DAYS AGO

#17 ·
Getting center section Friday still need;

Spool, bearings, pinion support, seat, radiator, coil, ignition box, rear brakes. I found some deals on a few things on racing junk to buy yet and buying the case from Powered By Ford here.

I must be insane but this is kinda getting late in the year so I am seriously thinking of pulling the MS cage out and having a chromoly 25.5 cage installed and mini-tubbing it before next year.

Gotta weigh my options at this point and see what makes more sense.

#20 ·
I sold the hollow shell for scrap price and the new Moser 33 spline axles that are in the Mustang (after I spent weeks knocking over 500 pounds off from it, but couldn't pass up this Mustang)

I am not sure how I did it but I missed a lot of your updates. I guess I've been working to much. The rear end looks great. I'm betting you get this one to hook better than the truck did with that Ford monster motor you have! ....but if you beat me to the track I'm going to have to have a talk with myself. I got to get mine done. It has been dragging on WAY too long.
Don't get too worried I am at the point now where I can't make the stuff I need and I shook the money tree a little too hard the last couple months so I got to replenish it ;). Definitely won't be able to be out til mid September at thee absolute earliest. Rich is making the dyno appointment tomorrow, then I have to get the car absolute 100% mocked up the way it will sit when race ready and get it scaled then give Andre the dyno numbers and the weight... info so we can get the converter right.

I have a hunch the converter is gonna end up about 1200rpm higher stall than last year. A certain stock suspension guru emphasized that wheel speed is a must with small tire stock suspension deals.

I also need to get a new radiator and have the -16 fittings welded on. After having a brand new hose leaking last year I came to the conclusion that braided stainless is the way to go for safety reasons.

#19 ·
I am not sure how I did it but I missed a lot of your updates. I guess I've been working to much. The rear end looks great. I'm betting you get this one to hook better than the truck did with that Ford monster motor you have! ....but if you beat me to the track I'm going to have to have a talk with myself. I got to get mine done. It has been dragging on WAY too long.

#21 ·
Bought some used brakes off from a forum member this week and just ordered a N case, next paycheck getting the Daytona pinion support and spool with bearings and a billet yoke. Buying Rich's used gears out of his Mustang that have less than 6 passes on them, they are lightened and REM polished and look like they just came out the box. Brake pedal is being modded and reinstalled then brakes plumbed next. Vacuum pump fittings are welded into the valve covers and the -16 fitting is welded into the thermostat outlet on the intake for the braided stainless radiator hoses.

The list is getting shorter after the next round of purchases will need;

Seat

Ignition box

Radiator

Fuel pump

Fuel cell

#27 ·
Not a problem Chris!

My new nodular case came in today. I ended up going with a Strange unit because I got a friend ;) that hooks me up.

I will be getting spool and bearings and Daytona pinion support... next Friday. I also got the brake pedal modified for the manual brakes wasn't too bad only took about thirty minutes.

Added a bunch of stuff to my Summit Racing shopping cart to purchase next week so I have all the part numbers... $520 :eek: :cool:

#33 ·
I may get some relief from spending over the winter as I decided to hold off on the 598 short block but I have seriously been considering having an all chromoly 25.5 cage installed and do a mini-tub. Its only another $3500 if I show up everyday to cut and notch tubes while he is welding it all in. :cool:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.