460 Ford Forum banner

dana 44 advice

7K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  Danny Cabral 
#1 ·
Ok guys I am building a new truck would like to use the 44 and 9 inch that's under it now. My truck now has dana 60's and cromo shafts. What I am wondering is how are you getting the 44 to hold up and what's the weak link? Will be running 40 inch cuts. Thanks for input

#3 ·
jmo

I'd get everything cryogenic treated {super deep freeze}Even hd after market axles{Yukon,Spicer,Moser,etc.}. I did all my pulling trucks front and rear ring and pinions,axles shafts,yokes and etc.
All my parts breaking went away. Blue Water Thermal did it and told me it makes them 5x stronger than original!! Best $300.00 I ever spent.Blue Water Thermal has door to door service.3 day turn around.If I remember it was $150.00 for 1st 50lbs and pro rated after that.
jmo

#12 ·
I'd get everything cryogenic treated {super deep freeze}Even hd after market axles{Yukon,Spicer,Moser,etc.}. I did all my pulling trucks front and rear ring and pinions,axles shafts,yokes and etc.
All my parts breaking went away. Blue Water Thermal did it and told me it makes them 5x stronger than original!! Best $300.00 I ever spent.Blue Water Thermal has door to door service.3 day turn around.If I remember it was $150.00 for 1st 50lbs and pro rated after that.
jmo
I haven't checked the price of upgrading axles yet, would there be any benefit to having my stock axles treated or is that just postponing the inevitable? I'm looking at the same power and weight as 557ranger but on 38.5 cuts with rotors removed to save some rotating weight?

Thanks

#4 ·
I'd def. go with aftermarket shafts and joints. I'd also do something about the ring and pinion. I've seen them strip teeth with just a mild smallblock. It's not the spinning that breaks them, it's the sudden traction. I doubt you can make a D44 live pulling, I'd put my money in a D60 any day, but if the rig is light enough it might last a little while.

#6 ·
I have to run factory style suspension I thought of converting my 60 ovet to coil springs have looked up the kits to do this but also have heard can't be done to ball joint 60 anyone have experience with this? Really don't like the idea of breaking stuff every weekend.

#7 ·
I've personally put coil springs on a bj60. It was in a 94 Jeep Grand Cherokee. All I did was line up the coil springs with the buckets on the frame and the axle and put mounts on the axle. I then built radius arms and a track bar to locate the axle. I think Jeffs Bronco Graveyard might even sell the wedges to use the factory suspension, I just don't know if they are for bj60's or kingpin 60's.

#9 ·
It was for rock crawling with the I6. So low up and no hard launches, but it did have 38.5x16 swappers and a spool.

#14 ·
If you want to spend as little as possible I would upgrade the open carrier to rid of the spider gears with a locker or traction aid and put some solid flange hubs in it. The 9" i think you should get the nodular case if you'll be using a transbrake.

I ran our 800 hp 5000 lb truck on factory differentials and only ever encountered the spiders stripping out and warm premium hubs blowing apart on launch. The factory 9" case does not like transbrake launch if you hook good. We shattered ours with only a 3k chip. Just speaking from experience we ran our stock 44 axles and stock 9" 31 splines for two years and never broke an axle.it would be good Insurence to upgrade for the big hp and cut tires.

Btw we run 200 ft bogs anywhere from 3.5-4 ft of water soupy stuff to 2-3 ft thick goo.

#16 ·
Yes, def. upgrade hubs if you can, I've broken two sets of the Warn standard hubs on my F250.

#17 ·
Yes, definitely upgrade hubs if you can. I've broken two sets of the Warn standard hubs on my F250.
Some people temporarily replace the Warn locking hubs with drive slugs, just for a mud racing event.
Then afterwards, they reinstall the Warn locking hubs for normal use. Use stainless steel hub bolts (Link).
Of course, if your truck is strictly a mud truck, then you don't need locking hubs at all; install drive slugs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.