460 Ford Forum banner

carb problems

3K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  bbuck 
#1 ·
i currently have a carter comp series carb on a 460. every time i shut it off and let it sit for a few hours, it takes forever to get it to start. somehow it is bleeding the fuel off or something. cannot figure it out. its about a 600-650 cfm. will be changing in the future but need to figure this out for now.
Thanks!

#3 ·
People sometimes blame the carb,in this case could be the fuel pump,a air leak in the fuel line, etc etc

#10 ·
moving the filter to the engine bay will make it worse, Doing so makes it easier for the fuel to heat up. Want to fix it? Install a elect fuel pump. See the prob is todays fuels have lower boiling points.

#11 ·
Yes, the phenolic spacer is just plastic. I used to run one on my 460 when I had a carb, and it not only insulates the carb but is supposed to make the fuel mix better. But it sounds like you have an air leak and the gas is siphoning back somewhere.

#12 · (Edited)
I've ran several old Chrysler products with Carter carbs and they always boiled the bowls dry. The plastic spacer helps. Gas can't siphon back to the tank. Some carbs have plugs in the bottom that can leak. Restricting the exhaust crossover in the intake manifold will cure the boiling issue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.