460 Ford Forum banner

Steering Box for my 67 Mustang

2K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  Gydyup 
#1 ·
So the Tech guy at Must Unltd wasn't quite right when I gave him my steering box tag number and he gave me a rebuilt, direct replacement bolt in number that had the 42 in shaft etc. Not so when it showed up from Borgenson in a 12 by 12 box, come to find out, they don't have 67 rebuilt steering boxes with the shaft.

So what are my best options/what are you guys doing?

Leave it be? Doesn't sound good. Nothing really wrong with it, other than being 40+ yrs old and wandering around the road like a Mustang does.

REbuild it myself -Cant find a complete parts kit.

Go with a flame river (16:1). and cut my colmn to fit, etc. I really wanted to stay 20:1 due to extra lbs of BB. Also cost is huge on these??????

Convert to 68 Rag Joint? Not sure what that entails with my col?

I see a rebuild service in NPD I think?

What are you guys doing, not concerned about handling like road race, its a street strip car. Ergo the Flam Rivr upgrades are over kill and costly.

See less See more
#2 ·
There's a guy in vintage mustang forum that rebuilds them, great rep. He also carries brakes, dan @ Chockostang.

#3 ·
He must be good, got the same name from my Ford Muscle bubbas. He already emailed me, and I like what he is saying.

YOu order it for 197 (rebuilt, cheaper than the parts houses), plus a 135 core. If your core is rebuildable, you get it back.

OR I can send my box, he can reqbuild it if possilbe and send it back. I got no time, so gonna just order it.

Ill let you know. But thanks.

#4 ·
Just got off the phone with Dan at Chocko, GREAT GUY, reminded me a lot of Dan Williams.

I guess I have the rare H box! 42 inc, 1 1/8 but 19:1 5 turns lock to lock vice four.

He said he really hopes its rebuildable as they are nice boxes. He was surprised to find it was an orig six car, not sure why a 6 banger would have such a nice box in it??? came factory air too?

Good news, since most of its life was a 6 banger, it wont have all the wear and tear a V8 box had. Good news for rebuildability.

If not, he can make me a 19:1 box, no extra cost, so either way, IM good.

Thanks

#5 ·
Post up pics and a write up

#6 · (Edited)
I've rebuilt one of these boxes in the past. Got my parts here:

http://www.stangerssite.com/

What I found is corrosion is a big deal. First box was junk, got another off ebay from southwest was a lot better shape. Main issue other than corrosion is wear on the gears. There is a high spot in the middle of the travel which makes the gear engagement tighter. This is the straight ahead position. It is also where the gears wear. If it is worn there it will always be loose. Other than that is just disassembly, cleaning, changing out bearings, etc... reassembly and setting up the adjustments. You need a good inch pound dial type torque wrench for that.

I don't see your box as anything special other than the 1-1/8 sector, but that is Ford use up what you have and move on. Some things to think about. The early '67 boxes had the long shaft and 1" sector and pitman. Later '67 and 68-70 had the short shaft and 1-1/8" sector and as you see in the middle was mix and match.

You can find '67 columns with the coupler set up for the short shaft. I have one in a '67 Cougar parts car. You can also use a 68-69 column which is collapsible in an accident. The '67 will just spear you thru the chest. Now there is a difference and a '67 steering wheel won't bolt on a 68-69 or visa-versa. If you have an aftermarket wheel is just a matter of getting the right adapter.

Finally part of why your car wonders at speed is the wheel alignment specs. These car only have one degree of caster so Grandma could park her manual steered 6 cylinder Mustang and everyone ended up with poor handling cars because of it. You want at least two degrees positive caster. It will help make the car more stable at speed.

#7 ·
Thanks, thought about shifting over to a 68 to get rid of the spear o matic.

Im gonna stick with my H box, and let the professional rebuild it. As you pointed out, there is wear in there that I have never looked at and don't have the experience to say yeay or nay. I do many things, but also know my limitations.

As I told Dan, at 135 MPH, I don't want to be WANDERING about whats in my box. :) Cheep insurance.

Dan was pretty excited about this 5 turn H box, so Ill go with that, I really don't care as the headers and pan limit it to 4 any way.

Isreal, pics coming man!

Thanks gang, and if you want to talk to a cool dude, Dan is just a great guy. Not as long winded as Dan Williams, but just as knowledgeable and genuine.

#8 ·
I don't blame you for having it rebuilt just sharing information. Stangers has a lot of good information on his site.

Are a few good guys do these boxes and sure you will be happy with Chocko. Two things for sure on these cars the steering box gets loose and the upper control arm bearings get dry, squeak, and wear out or seize and crack the shock towers.

When you get it all done align with 2 deg. positive caster. It does help stability at high speed. Good luck!

#9 ·
Thanks, appreciate the help as always.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.