460 Ford Forum banner

C6 build question

5K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  thermod 
#1 ·
Am modding a C6 per Frank's build thread.In the process of cutting a new snap ring groove in the high-reverse drum for five standard red altos and kolenes.Frank says some drums have longer splines with different measurements from the old groove.I have three drums that are the same.How do you tell if you have the long or short spline drum?Tranny is out of an 87 E-350 if that makes a difference.Also,it seems to me that a steel could end up in the old groove...I would assume that isn't a problem but....

#2 ·
It depends how many clutches came out the drum originally.

If it was 3/3 the groove would be lower.

When you cut a new groove the pressure plate should cover the original groove.

You can also use a lower forward clutch pressure plate instead of the thicker upper.

#4 ·
Thanks,gentlemen!It's a 3/3 drum.I haven't ordered my frictions or steels yet so don't know how they will stack up yet.Gregaust,I see in an old thread that you installed a Sonnax GM-N-11 bearing on the front planetary.Did it work OK?It would save me one machining step.Nobody has these on the shelf so I guess I'd have to order direct from Sonnax.

#5 ·
The 3/3 drum will take 5 standard thickness frictions and steels , new snap ring groove cut higher . That is providing that drum only had 1 original snap ring groove .

That GM-N-11 bearing fits perfect on the snout of the front planet without having to remove any material on the I.D. It is what I use since those Ford part numbers not easily available here .

Some pics here http://www.429-460.com/t2255-rebuilding-a-c6

#10 ·
Almost done

I should have measured the end float before I tore the trans apart.It came out of a super low mileage RV and must have been pretty tight.I followed Frank's direction on the #7 bushing which you lose .040 of end float.Ended up taking out the sun shell race and with the thinnest pump washer available which was in the trans to begin with,only.008 float.Had to go back to the machinist for an adjustment for a little more clearance.
The Sonnax GM-N-11 bearing crosses over to GM 8636118 which is readily available and fits perfect.

#7 ·
I like to keep my endfloat between .010-.020" I know Frank specs a little looser . Factory spec is .008-.042 so anywhere in between you'll be good .

If you're rollerising you can juggle your clearances when you machine . The recess in the front side of the rear planet between it and the input shell can pretty much be machined to get endfloat where you need

#8 ·
forward clutch

In the forward clutch I put 5 standard red altos and kolenes with a bottom beveled pressure plate on top and ended up with a huge amount of clearance.I came up with two methods of getting this right.One would be replacing 2 kolenes with oversized steels (.095) and a .094 snap ring to get me in range.Second...used an undersized steel .059 added to the stack and a .076 snap ring.I figured this could go under or over the wave plate.Would this work OK?Which method would be best in your oppinion? I did notice that with the .076 snap ring,the top pressure plate barely catches the drum splines. Thanks!
P.S.
I noticed the red altos all come in 3,4 thousands thinner than than orig frictions and that doesn't help matters.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.