460 Ford Forum banner

86 f250 engine swap oil pan question

2K views 8 replies 2 participants last post by  onlyfords 
#1 ·
I cant seem to find any oil pan to fit this (based on specs as compared from oem to aftermarket).

I have an 86f250 originally with the 6.9 diesel, I am in the process of totally converting to gasoline and putting in a nice d0ve-a 429 with d0ve-c heads, bored 60 over and flat top pistons. the only things left are carb and oil pan. any suggestions? canton makes a few good 4x4 pans but nothing that fits both. did the bolt pattern differ between 70 and 86?

this truck will be mostly on the road, punch the pedal and what not but occasionally I have to take the 38 inch tires off road!

thanks for the input guys

#7 ·
Part number must be inside the pan. Not seeing it now. Seems it was a D4?? Thunderbird pan. The two pans also take different oil pumps and pickup tubes. As for carbs, I' ve ran both Edelbrock 600 and 750 on the 460. Good mileage and respose from the 600, ran outta breath at about 4800. I'm going to try the 750 on the 429, its set up to breath a little better.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#8 ·
Thanks for all that info. I was hoping it was 7/16 on the rockers though since all the after markets are pretty much 7/16. I'm trying to put together a performance build to hit the mud and the track here and there but mostly just a street machine; any other tips or suggestions on mods that I can get that aren't too crazy on the wallet? Money isn't a big deal but I don't wanna dump 10k on this thing. I already have intake, water pump, new rods and cam with a mid-way lift and duration, billet timing chain, all new bearing, 60 over flat top pistons too. I feel like I'm forgetting something.

Thanks again man!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.