460 Ford Forum banner

Metal Shavings Found.....HELP NEEDED

7K views 44 replies 22 participants last post by  1Bad65 
#1 ·
Ok, Well ive found some shavings when I drained my oil the other day. Didnt find any shavings in the filter whatsoever, but is this REAL bad for a Nitrous motor and when I had Oil pressure issues? I went from 10w30 to royal purple 20w50 and Im starting to think that it wasnt a good idea since the motor sounds like it needs to be freashined. Can I switch back to regular oil? I have a PINKS ALL OUT show in less than 2 weeks and not really planning to tear the motor down at this point in time. What do you guys think I should do here?

#2 ·
You should obviously tear down and see what the source of the metal is. Chances are, once you determine that, you'll also know why your oil pressure isn't where you want it to be.

Bad news, I know, and it's only my opinion, but you did ask.

Greg

#6 ·
well, i was hoping not to hear this but everyone that posted said the same thing. Im a carpenter and I have mechanical skills, but other than taking the motor out and taking the pan off....Whats the basic fix for something like this? Its less than 2 weeks now, my machine shop man who which is going to pinks as well told me that he wont have enough time and it litterally could be anything causeing the shavings, but i dont here any major problems AT ALL with this motor.

#7 ·
Well, man, if you don't have time to fix it because you're dead set to run it at PAO, go right ahead.

I guarantee you, though, PAO is NOT worth blowing up your engine over. The program sucks at best, and if you toast your bullet in the process you ain't gonna be happy.

Plus, the Bald Guy hates oil downs.

Greg

#12 · (Edited)
Plus, the Bald Guy hates oil downs.
Greg
The Bald Guy will ban you for LIFE from Pinks if you oil his track. Ask anyone that was at the Motorplex.

Screw Pinks, pull the motor. It is NOT worth it. Didn't go to Dallas, lots of friends did and most say "not again". They picked a slow class anyway.

Switching from 10w-30 to 20w-50 would not have any effect on the motor internals IMHO. Something else is going on there. The only good way is to take out each piece, give it a look and say "is itYOU?!?" ;)

#11 ·
You know what....You guys are right. Its not worth blowing the engine unless i can fix it before then. Its better at least pull the motor and drop the pan and check all the bearings. Thanks for the advice here. I needed to here this. More votes here to tear it down vs running it....Hey if I hit the lotto today maybe I'll just stuff a kasse in it and really run some PAO!!!

#15 ·
At the bare minumum I would pull the motor and at least look at the rod and main bearings. You may get really lucky and find the issue to be a distributor gear as was already said, or may not get so lucky and find major problems. Either way, pull it and at least look. Chris

#16 ·
Another update....I asked the guy I bought the Car from and he told me he did not change the oil for a good while...like a idiot. Anyways, since I've been running this 20w50 in it. I decided to just check the bottom of the pan again. I saved the oil I pulled out to later strain and I found NO SHAVINGS. Didnt even find a spec of any metal whatsoever. My father came over as he knows a decent about motors. He told me that If I dont hear funny noises then I should at least drive the car some and check and see oil pressure is ok and drain the oil after maybe each pass or every other pass. If I dont find any more shavings, then this maybe this will be ok just for the show. I really plan to take the motor to my machine shop man after pinks for a COMPLETE FRESHINING. So, with that being said....what do you guys think?

#19 · (Edited)
Ok, first off, why does anybody go & do the Pinks show :confused: to get attention I guess :rolleyes: or be on tv. Either one the whole show is all about drama. If thats what your after, no need to blow the engine, just when it comes your time go do the burn out, loose it & slap the wall & you'll get all the tv time you can get, drama, people pay big money to see stuff like that on tv.

Loosing my car or truck on a Pinks show not the best idea of a good day of enjoyment. Getting that big tool box & tools along with the money might be nice, but after all the shows I've seen, if you got better than a 10 car or truck you probably wont make the show & just hauling it to the track & waisting race gas all you'll be done.
Neil

#20 ·
Seriously listen to the folks here unless you have the money to burn replacing parts that haven't failed yet. At the least I'd pull the pan, check the bearings, check oil pump. It's cheap to check these things, it's not cheap to build another motor.

As for Pinks... I'm with Leigh, it's a big ol' drama-fest. I'm happy driving my car and going to the local strip. Or the handful of farther away events I go to. No risk of losing my car, no BS. Just a good time with nice cars and good people.

#23 ·
As for Pinks... I'm with Leigh, it's a big ol' drama-fest. I'm happy driving my car and going to the local strip. Or the handful of farther away events I go to. No risk of losing my car, no BS. Just a good time with nice cars and good people.
Actually, you dont lose your car on pinks all out. Its a chance to win 10k, not to mention taking home some $$ if you get picked and make it out of the 1st round... $1000.

#21 ·
I would just about bet, 95% of the people watching Pinks dont even have a car or know how to build an engine & those that do have cars, trucks or build engines probably dont watch it unless they have nothing else to do.

Most every time I've watched it been late at night. I'll sit down turn the tube on just to chill the nerves some after driving comming home from a Saturday night race.

One Pinks sticks in my mind, drama scene, the one when ol pin head crashed that crotch rocket in the return lane. Spent half the show about his crash.
Please, if any of you do go to a Pinks show, PLEASE dont give that boy a 4 wheeler to ride cause we got enough bad press as it is without him getting one & crashing it on tv.
:eek: :D Neil

#24 ·
Ok, I took the car over to my machinist to day so he could listen to the car and watch my oil pressure. He said everything sounds fine and oil pressure is good. Then he checked my crank. He showed me how to check the crank to see if she's walking......turns out it's the THRUST BEARING. He told me I WILL be ok for A LITTLE WHILE AND HE'S SEEN WORSE, but he wouldnt recommend driving it much more after that. Car idle pressure is 30psi hot and 50psi cold. Revving it and she holds 45-50psi. I know this guy personally and he would not lie to me. Matter of fact, he built my dads 514 and stands behind major big racers.....so as much as I would want to pull the motor and be safe....it's staying in and gonna let her eat!!!! PINKS ALL OUT BABY!!!!!!!!

#27 ·
Trust me...I would love to pull the motor and check everything out, but if I have good oil pressure and changed the oil again and didnt find shavings and brought the car to my machinist and he tells me I will be ok for the show atleast....Im gonna go with someone who builds motors for a LIVING over any helpful opinions. I just dont have the time right now in order to make the show. Plus...If i dont make the finals, which is impossible...I will have 4 total passes on the car. I really dont think its gonna hurt anything. Seriously. The shavings I found was not a CRAZY amount of shavings. I will post back and let you guys know what happens after the show. Thanks for all your help and input. Wish me luck!!

#29 ·
if I have good oil pressure

Im gonna go with someone who builds motors for a LIVING over any helpful opinions.

I just dont have the time

I really dont think its gonna hurt anything.

The shavings I found was not a CRAZY amount of shavings.

Thanks for all your help and input. Wish me luck!!
You only have 45 lbs of oil pressure, that's not right. A stock Melling pump should produce 55-60 lbs.

Not gonna comment on the fact that you don't have the time.

You have no idea what's going on in the engine, so how can you take the position that it's not going to hurt anything?

How many shavings does it take to wreck an engine? You don't know, and neither does anyone else.

Your professional engine builder must have a seriously good eye to judge thrust bearing wear....from outside the engine..... You know that thrust is generally supposed to be around .008" right?

Guys that "***"ume everything's gonna be ok are a mystery to me.

Did you look at the link in my previous post?

I hope you don't blow that engine. I also hope that if you DO blow the engine that you don't get hurt, hurt someone else, or wreck your car or someone elses.

Greg

#30 ·
???? Please report after it breaks......you will have a broke block, broken rod(s) a burned up crank, at least one cracked cylinder head and a hole in the oil pan.............and if your lucky, you wont crash the car from your own oil bath...........

Goodluck.

#31 ·
Moving the car around the yard/trailer or even an easy drive is one thing but running it full tilt with known metal in the oil and a potential thrust bearing issue is asking for trouble. If you don't have the time to fix what could be a minor issue, bearing clearances, improperly set thrust bearing, pickup issues, or whatever... When are you gonna have the time to do a full teardown and rebuild? Must be nice to have that kinda money that the prospect of trashing an engine or even your car is no concern. :rolleyes:

Good luck, let us know how it works out for you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.