460 Ford Forum banner

Cam stuck in block

3K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Falcon67 
#1 ·
I have a new 521 that was run only for about 50 miles in an f100. I decided that I was being wasted in the truck and yanked it out. I took the D3VE heads off and now attempting to remove cam but it won't come out. The retainer plate is off, all lifters are out and I have the cam gear on the end but no go. The cam will move forward about .100 but gets stuck and will not spin anymore. If I push it back, it spins and moves freely. The engine is new and had no issues; oil pressure was fine. I am trying to remove this cam so I can install another one. Has anyone run into this problem before and if it was solved how?

#6 ·
The shortblock is already out of the truck on the stand. I just need to get the cam out and install the other one; engine is fresh. I need to do this without damaging anything. This engine is new and I would hate to have to take it apart for this.

#8 ·
There you go, threaded rod idea.
Take the threaded rod & make a snatch puller, like a dent puller at a body shop.
I have a homemade one like that to pull dead end roller bearings out. Used a threaded rod with two nuts locked together on the end to smack aginst & then took an old 2" hitch ball & drilled a hole through it, works like a charm.

Same thing the tool companys did that sell those puller like that now, except mine cost 500.00 less than theirs does.
Neil

#9 ·
That would be my suggestion - a bit of 3/8 all thread, some nuts/washers and a chunk of something with a hole in it. Gently tap the thing out and see how it goes. If it takes a cam bearing with it, then you needed to know that anyway so you can see what the issue is in there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.