460 Ford Forum banner

No oil pressure "0"

3K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  Falcon67 
#1 ·
friday on the dyno during second pull lost oil pressure totally. was always around 50 psi. I was there when he shut it down He said he noticed the dummy light come on on the dash then looked at the guage and was very low and dropping. we first pulled dizzy shaft is ok. put a drill with shaft on it to prime and check very little to no resistance on the drill. good news is it was caught right when it happened and the motor should be fine. Do you guys think its the pump? any info on where I should go with this will be appreciated. oh yeah its a 429 has a sealed power high volume oil pump. came with the re build kit we bought.
thanks. kevin

#9 · (Edited)
In a laboratory environment while the engine is totally stationary and gradually taking on a pull? This "oil pump breakage" scare has gotten so out of whack (thanks to the internet) that it's downright painful. Maybe (MAYBE) in a 6500 rpm gummy slick tire shaking chassis flexing 200-inch dragster and even then it's not even close to a regular occurrence. Hundreds of thousands of M84 series pumps have been manufactured and perhaps 1/100th of 1 percent might have broken, and I'll bet that 75% of that small fraction are due to improper setup, such as forcing an out-of-shape pickup tube bracket down against the main cap bolt and inadvertently loading the pump, etc.

Paul

p.s. No offense BBFMav, making a general statement. BTW love the Falcon.

#3 ·
just making sure theres nothing else im not thinking of to try before dropping pan and pulling pump. its gonna be a task. will definitely have to pull motor mount bolts and jack up motor far as I can and still might not have the room to get pan off.

#4 ·
Here's a crazy random scenario (actually happened):

The first pass I ever made at the track under BBF power, I was on the return road with an increasing clicking sound from the valvetrain. We pulled the sender and fired it up and found random sputtering oil.. not good.

After getting the car home and pulling the motor, I found my M84DHV had ejected its' plug that retains the bypass spring :eek:

The flange on the pickup tube somewhat retained it, so it was half-cocked hanging out.

Upon the subsequent bearing inspection, everything looked fine, and it's been running ever since (with a new pump).

#5 ·
well I got the oil pump out and submerged the pick up in oil . used a drill to turn shaft and it pumps oil alright. shoots it up about 2 feet. with no oil pressure and a good oil pump what could be the problem ? Im stumped.

#7 ·
no I didnt. Didnt hear anything abnormal when pressure dropped. would a broken stud make it have no oil pressure at all? Ill pull covers tomorrow and post what I find. thank you.

#10 ·
... it usually pops a lifter out and the gauge will show no oil pressure. That's if its a hydraulic of flat tappet.
This is way more likely. New engine, dyno pulls, revving the engine and suddnely a bent pushrod etc, lifter pops out of the bore.

Paul

#11 ·
thanks paul, I built the motor in 01 and has been very sound since. this past winter I changed the top end.Heads ported, bigger valves, cam,intake,carb etc.. didnt touch the lower end at all. Ill pull the valve covers today and take a peek. thanks again everyone for scratchin youre heads with me here.
kevin

#13 ·
Well found the problem. Thanks for the input Rick,luke,colin,paul and relentless. # 3 cylinder bent push rods on intake and exhaust. well that gives me a reason to replace those crane 1.7 to some 1.73 correct ford geometry rockers. any suggestions on whick ones. hartlan sharp, trick flow, crane gold, pro form,etc... heres the pics.
kevin

Attachments

#18 ·
They were comp hi energy. I was warned when I changed cam and went to dual springs to upgrade the pushrods. But was also told they would work. Oh well You live and learn.thanks guys!! gotta order some parts.
kevin

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.