460 Ford Forum banner

Is there a quiet electric fuel pump?

6K views 25 replies 18 participants last post by  gtmustang 
#1 ·
I have swapped a smaller motor into my former drag race truck. I have a sump in the fuel tank and I didn't want to pull the fuel lines all apart and redo all of that so I kept the electric fuel pump and bypass style regulator on it (both are Aeromotive). When I built the new motor I didn't put the parts on the end of the cam to allow for a mechanical pump. I also put a new muffler system on it so it is quieter (I'm going to use the truck to pull my 93 notch to the track and back). Now when the truck is running all you can hear is that loud a$$ electric fuel pump. I know Edelbrock advertises a "quiet" electric pump but I have no experience with it so I just wanted to ask the forum if there is a truly quiet pump out there and if so what is it? Thanks in advance for your replies!!

#2 ·
Usually running a bypass type of regulator setup makes the pump a lot quieter. If it's loud with that type of system I can't imagine how loud it would be when running into a dead head!

Is there anything you can do to cushion the mounting of the pump and or move it to a place where it can't make body panels etc resonate? Some place such as a frame rail might make a big difference.

#3 ·
The Walbro 255 in my car is ultra quiet. I have to be within 2 feet of it and listening close to hear it at all. This is in the trunk (but not in the tank) of a Q45 with completely stock exhaust, so the car is very quiet. Not quite so quiet but MUCH quieter than the Holley red that was in my camaro is a Carter electric, one of these...

http://www.jegs.com/i/Carter/180/P4070/10002/-1?parentProductId=748050

#4 · (Edited)
Right now it is a bypass style setup. It is a full frame truck obviously and I have it mounted to the frame rail right now just in front of the rear axle. I have a trick flow fuel filter mounted right before the inlet to the fuel pump and another trick flow filter mounted up near the engine before the carbuerator fuel log. Since you brought up the fact that a bypass is usually quieter I'll go ahead and throw this out there (maybe I have a problem going on with it). When I'm crusing it at normal throttle you can always hear the fuel pump. I don't know if the sound that the fuel pump makes when you punch it stays the same. The mufflers make the engine a lot quieter but it is still 466 inches unleahed when you hit it and that makes the only noise that you can hear. But when I get off the gas to roll up to a stop sign or something the fuel pump noise for the most part goes away. In other words the fuel pump temporarily gets quiet when you aren't on the say. However if you start it up and just let it sit there and idle the fuel pump is still really loud. It just sits there and buzzes away. Any idea why the fuel pump would temporarily stop making the loud noise when crusing to a stop? I mean you can still hear it but barely (it is the way that I wish it was all the time)+. I know it is still on and running back there so it isn't like it is cutting off. But it will only go almost silent when rolling to a stop when your foot is off the gas. Any ideas?

One other thing... I have 8 AN line running all the way from the tank up to the bypass regulator. The fuel log is made of 8 AN line as well. I also have 8 AN line running from the regulator all the way to the return sump in the tank. After I did it this way I read that you were supposed to have a larger diameter line on the return side. Or at least I think I remember reading that somewhere. Do you think this may be part of the problem? I'm not sure so I'm just throwing it out there.

#5 ·
If you're not overpowering the needle/seats with too much fuel pressure, I don't think the return line is a problem. The only reason I can think of for the pump getting quiet is if the carb bowls are running low while you're on the throttle and then when you let up there's no resistance to the pump for a bit while it refills the bowls. The only other thing would be if the pump is touching something causing it to make noise and when its weight shifts forward it no longer contacts that piece of something. That'd seem pretty obvious though.

#6 · (Edited)
It is on a frame rail as already stated. There is nothing near it for it to be able to touch anything. Here is the weird part. When crusing up to a stop with my foot totally off the gas it gets quiet as I said. But it doesn't get loud again until I step back on the gas. It doesn't matter if I sit there 10 seconds or 2 minutes (such as at a stop light). The Aeromotive SS pump that I have is able to support up to 1000 HP (that is what they advertise anyway) and this is a relatively small motor. It is only a 466, D3VE-A2A heads. Speed pro flat top hypers with a Lunati VooDoo Cam (.540/.552 Dur @ 50 is 219/223). It is all topped by a Performer RPM intake with a brand new straight out of the box Holley 750 double pumper (I did adjust the float levels but that was it). So if the bowls were low I would think that fuel pump would fill them back up in about 2 seconds. For what it is the thing gets decent mileage as well (around 14 to 15 mpg not pulling anything). Waaayyyy better than the 2 gallons per mile that my race motor was getting.

#7 ·
My walbro is pretty loud when it's got air in it. If the car sits a week or so (fuel pump is just above gas tank) then it's noisy for a few minutes. It also sometimes does that after taking a long turn with less than 1/4 tank. If there's any chance air is getting into the inlet side of the pump, that'd do it. Other than that, I really don't know. I kinda hate to throw out those obvious things like the pump vibrating against something because it's not like I think everyone is an idiot. Hopefully it didn't come off sounding that way. I just know that sometimes I miss the obvious.

#8 ·
THE ONLY ONE I KNOW OF IS THE MALLORY 110,7PSI,NO REG NEEDED

#15 ·
No... I'm not sure. I've never actually disconnected the line to see if anything is flowing through it. I just assumed that it was. It never even occured to me. I am able to set and adjust the fuel pressure with the bypass style regulator so I always assumed that it was working. If it was slammed shut I would think that the fuel pressure would always be way to high and non-adjustable. ...but then again when I start thinking is when I usually get into trouble. I'll disconnect the return line and make sure it is indeed flowing.

And for eveybody else that has posted suggestions on quiet fuel pumps thank you very much. I will check them all out before I buy something. I appreciate the input.

#19 ·
I also have an A1000 on my superduty powering my 7.3 powerstoke at 60 psi. I mounted it on 4 MSD rubber mounts.... (for the 7 series boxes).... and you can barely hear it without the truck even running.

Cheap too.....

It was VERY loud before. Any pump solid mounted will be loud.

#24 ·
I just finished a build up on a 32 Ford Hi Boy and we used the Holley HP pump. It is ultra quiet. I had to feel it to make sure it was running.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HLY-12-150/

Are you deadheading it or do you have a bypass regulator? What size lines are you using in and out? I've been considering one of these to replace my old holley blue.
Gary

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.