460 Ford Forum banner

Does boring create more HP/TORQUE?

15K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Lem Evans 
#1 ·
Thinking about boring my 460 .30 over. Will it create more power? How much?

#2 ·
That will add 6 cubic inches. Not much of a difference with regard to power production.

You will realise more power by freshening the engine and outfitting with good well matched parts and a set of heads that flow worth their salt...

:D

#7 ·
I read once that overbore to create power is futile when considering cost to gain ratio. The article stated that with no other changes a .030" will net a 1-3hp gain. I believe this was tested in a 350SBC but sure the gains are similar for most engines. Bottom line is yes you can create more power especially with changing compression... but if you plan on keeping compression the same the gain is not worth the money invested. Now on the other hand if the bore needs to be machined then there would be a gain and increase in reliability also.

#12 ·
Unless you going something like 1/8 or 1/4 inch oversize intentionally for more cubic inches, boring the engine a small amount will gain LITTLE power however, it WILL insure that the cylinders are "straight & round" so, the ring seal could be optimum.
Regular everyday engines will leak down past the rings in the 20% range where a decent Hi-Perforormance engine will be under 5%; (usually less).
Ring seal is power ... plain and simple.

I have seen people spend hours porting cylinder heads and skimp on the valve sealing; what a waste. Valve seal is power ... plain and simple.

Moving the cylinder bore wall over .015" as in a simple .030" overbored engine, won't increase flow; at least not within readable error.

#9 ·
I might not bore it....cylinder walls seem ok but should I get it honed or what?

I'm going to keep dish pistons to run low octane fuel (gas prices :( )

I don't know what to do at the moment. Need to let Jim finish my engine so he can start on his.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.