460 Ford Forum banner

D.O.T. tires, M/T or Hoosier?

1K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  Blackcoupe 
#1 ·
Personally I like the Hoosier slicks better but what do you guys think on the DOT tires?

I am looking at these, my slicks are sold and well....
http://www.jegs.com/i/Hoosier/522/17601QTP/10002/-1

I like the looks of the drag tires with full tread (and radials) but seriously doubt my suspension is going to be good enough to bite with those.... and I only have room for a 11.5" sidewall.

#2 · (Edited)
Personally I like the Hoosier slicks better but what do you guys think on the DOT tires?

I am looking at these, my slicks are sold and well....
http://www.jegs.com/i/Hoosier/522/17601QTP/10002/-1

I like the looks of the drag tires with full tread (and radials) but seriously doubt my suspension is going to be good enough to bite with those.... and I only have room for a 11.5" sidewall.

I guess I don't quite understand what you are asking. I use these Hoosiers QTP's on both my cars for the simple fact that they are a "street slick" and considered a DOT approved tire at the track I run at, in a "street car class" to where a normal slick is not allowed, but a treaded tire would not really hook and these do great!! To me (if it matters) I do not consider these to be a DOT tire and these are not a radial tire and if you're wanting to keep a treaded look, well they ain't gonna have that treaded look for too long, oh and by the way you better stay out of the rain with these too ;).

#7 ·
No, I think you understood me just fine. The car won't be in the rain ever if I am lucky. I just need something I can get to the strip on occasionally and legally. I see people driving in on slicks but not worth the risk of a ticket imo. So are you saying the tread burns off these fast or the other tires?

I have coil over front suspension, ladder bars, no transbrake. Part of me feels I should be able to get it tuned in with a lesser tire (full tread) with some adjustment and maybe new front shocks. I wish I had a pair to try :(.

#5 ·
I bought a set of 28x14.50 Hoosier QTP's- supposed to be 28" tall and 12" wide, but I took them back and got 28x13.50 M/T ET Streets . When I had the Hoosiers mounted on my 12" rims they ended up being over 29" tall, they were to big in diameter to fit my car without cutting the rear wheelwells for clearance. They would be even bigger in diameter mounted on 10" wheels. Hoosier must have used a cheap Chinese tape measure when they measured them!:rolleyes: The M/T's are 28" tall and just over 11" wide, like they are supposed to be.
Gary

#8 ·
My personal preference for your setup would be a Mickey ET Street. They hook like an M/T Drag and have some life in them. I've tried Hoosiers and they were off dial in about 100 runs. I get 150~200 out of every M/T donut I've used.

#9 ·
We have a set of the qtp dot on one of our cars and its the second set and we have no complaints its a bb car 3200 lbs leaf springs 11.50s so its not all that fast then another one of our cars we use the e.t. street (non radial) its a bb leafsprung car runs high 10-low 11s on a 28x11.50 and it dead hooks too, but I agree with bullit2002 that the ET streets will last quite a bit longer than the hoosiers too neither car has anything more than a good set of leafsprings and an adjustable pinion snubber.
Good luck,
Jr.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.