460 Ford Forum banner

Sizing a fuel pump

1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  FourEyed Freak 
#1 ·
Is there a formula for finding the size of a fuel pump needed for plumbing your car?
Thanks
Dave
:)

#2 ·
Yes and no... If you want to email me your combo or give me a ring, I would be happy go give you some options!

#4 ·
You are going to want to upgrade a little bit. There are more than one options and it depends on budget, amount of street driving, and some other items. Upto 450 hp you are pretty good, but you are going to want to figure 150 hp more to keep from having a starving issue at speed... sometimes stock mechanical pumps can't feed high rpm demand over long durations.

#6 ·
That is a good formula and should work in most applications, however always be sure that when purchasing a pump that you intend to use on the street that it is made for street use. You will burn the motor up quickly if you don't! Also, some pumps are made to be on demand and others are constant high pressure. There are a lot of other reasons why not to go 100% by GPH!

#8 ·
I usually use the HP X .5 then double that as a ball park, then go up to the next size. Big pumps can be used, best if used in a return system to help reduce the load on the pump. My 351C only comes out to around 78 GPH but I run a 140 Mallory and got 10 years life out of the last one with a return system.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.